knee problems!

Discussion in 'Army Professionally Qualified Recruitment' started by t-rex, Jul 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello everyone. been to the doctors today. he said i have crepitus on the knee. i hope somone could shed some light on this.

Also, as i knocked my knee i went to see a physio. She simply said that the right knee has less mussle tissue surrounding the knee , compared to the left one. she's give me some exercises to strengthing the knee. As i've just recently applied for the army and this knock has just recently occured and stated so on my medical records. would this also effect my chances?

The right knee is working absolute fine now. I can run long distances and do weight trainning on it aswell

2. could somone please give me any informationg regarding this matter.

3. I'm no doctor, but in my professional opinion i think your stuffed 'til you get another quack to say your clear. i'm afraid the other one being ok won't make much difference unless you're planning to hop a lot.

4. I thought crepitus was a creaking of the knee. Just follow the physio's advice with the exercises and you should be ok.

I am guessing that the exercises given are designed so they build up the front thigh muscles and push the kneecap out?

5. The doc filled in the medical questionaire yesterday. He wrote 'problem resolved' when it asks about knee problems. The doctor says it shouldnt be a problem to progress onto the next stage of the application, regarding this issue.

I know from past experiance the medical guys can be pretty strict on these things. I wish i didnt even go to the docs about the problem now as i can do everything i could normally do. The only thing with the knee, is that it makes a crunching clicking sound while doing exercises ie squats or simply straighting the leg. But i'm told this is normal. My question is how would the people who check peoples medical history view this. Would they take my docs word that the problem is resolved or would they investigate further or just to be on the safe side give me a deferment for x amount of time.

All comments will be appreciated

6. any ideas

7. T-rex

The reallydie hard rule docs follow when trying to assess muscularskeletal pain is in essence quite simple if it hurts when you bend up and down as well as makes a sound then your in need of a physio review and treatment and even possible surgical intervention.

Before I became a medical type myself I was in a combat arm runing around with half a house on my back and when I wasn't carrying LAW 94 Anti-tank weaps or GPMG's all over the place I was carrying an even bigger house on my back. The point is in 9 years in the army I've dislocated my shoulder (It bloody hurt) my R knee and also broken 3 bones and had vairous other muscularskeletal pains, one of which I am still at times hampered by whenever I want to do any physical training.

What you need to consider is what job you will be doing if you going into the infantry I would suggest you get checked out by someone other than your GP as GP's tend to know very little about orthopeadics (bones) and little about muscularskeletal injuries which yours comes under.

The other thing you could do is bluff your way into the army get medically discharged and end up back in civvy street no better off and having wasted your time and not to mention alot of other peoples.

The chances are you suffer from crepitus which in itself is no biggy and certainly won't stop you from joining the army however it could also be indicative of other complaints such as early onset osteoarthritis and even Osgood-Schlatter's disease if your finding it painful when you extend your legs so that your quad muscles are fully extended and stretched and your knee is locked and your leg straight. In this instances you don't want to be doing any form of physical training that builds up your quad muscles as you risk a partial or tearing avulsion of the patellar tendon which is very bad news!!

My advice is to get it checked out if you don't and you do join up you risk severely damaging your knee which could lead to serious complications in later life, trust me you do not want to be having knee replacements when your in your 50's becasue you were young and stupid and didn't listen to sound advice! You are young for a short period of time then when like you start getting a little older (Not that old) pains and aches when they didn't before.

As it is I am now seriously at risk of osteoarthritits in a number of joints, this is something I have to contend with for the rest of my life while I am still medically and physically fit to go anywhere and do anything with the Army I am still careful and mindful that a future with osteoarthritis is just around the corner if I am not careful and trust me it's not nice to see young people riddled with arthritis there are no cures and people just have to get on as best they can imagine not being able to walk more than 200m without a walking stick and without chronic pain sounds nasty dosen't it! This happened to a 42 year old patient of mine! Food for thought me thinks?

All the best with joining the Army but bare in mind you have only 1 body you break it or don't look after it and you reap the rewards for years of mistreatment in your older age!

Yours
    Sneaky_Barstard.

8. T-rex

The reallydie hard rule docs follow when trying to assess muscularskeletal pain is in essence quite simple if it hurts when you bend up and down as well as makes a sound then your in need of a physio review and treatment and even possible surgical intervention.

Before I became a medical type myself I was in a combat arm runing around with half a house on my back and when I wasn't carrying LAW 94 Anti-tank weaps or GPMG's all over the place I was carrying an even bigger house on my back. The point is in 9 years in the army I've dislocated my shoulder (It bloody hurt) my R knee and also broken 3 bones and had vairous other muscularskeletal pains, one of which I am still at times hampered by whenever I want to do any physical training.

What you need to consider is what job you will be doing if you going into the infantry I would suggest you get checked out by someone other than your GP as GP's tend to know very little about orthopeadics (bones) and little about muscularskeletal injuries which yours comes under.

The other thing you could do is bluff your way into the army get medically discharged and end up back in civvy street no better off and having wasted your time and not to mention alot of other peoples.

The chances are you suffer from crepitus which in itself is no biggy and certainly won't stop you from joining the army however it could also be indicative of other complaints such as early onset osteoarthritis and even Osgood-Schlatter's disease if your finding it painful when you extend your legs so that your quad muscles are fully extended and stretched and your knee is locked and your leg straight. In this instances you don't want to be doing any form of physical training that builds up your quad muscles as you risk a partial or tearing avulsion of the patellar tendon which is very bad news!!

My advice is to get it checked out if you don't and you do join up you risk severely damaging your knee which could lead to serious complications in later life, trust me you do not want to be having knee replacements when your in your 50's becasue you were young and stupid and didn't listen to sound advice! You are young for a short period of time then when like you start getting a little older (Not that old) pains and aches when they didn't before.

As it is I am now seriously at risk of osteoarthritits in a number of joints, this is something I have to contend with for the rest of my life while I am still medically and physically fit to go anywhere and do anything with the Army I am still careful and mindful that a future with osteoarthritis is just around the corner if I am not careful and trust me it's not nice to see young people riddled with arthritis there are no cures and people just have to get on as best they can imagine not being able to walk more than 200m without a walking stick and without chronic pain sounds nasty dosen't it! This happened to a 42 year old patient of mine! Food for thought me thinks?

All the best with joining the Army but bare in mind you have only 1 body you break it or don't look after it and you reap the rewards for years of mistreatment in your older age!

Yours
    Sneaky_Barstard.

9. look after your knees

10. You cant be too careful with knees so dont take any chances. Im only 27 and have major knee problems that will one day require a knee replacement. I used to to run on a daily basis and competetively but not any more. Make sure you carry out the exercises your doctor has told you to do and if you get pain dont try and run through it. They were my biggest mistakes so hopefully you can learn from my experiances. I got permanently downgraded and didint see any point in staying in the army to do some buckshee desk job. Now im a civvi stuck in a boring desk job because my leg isn't up to anything physical. War pensions are a pittance too.