Knee problems

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by oldcolt, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure whether to feel a prat or a bit chuffed with myself but either way, my last weighted run has aggravated an old knee problem and some advice would be appreciated.

Currently off to Catterick in a week or so and also doing build-up for the AACC early in 2010 (if I can get a place); so doing loads of phys including Mondays, 7 mile run in trainers (hilly), Wednesday interval sessions on treadmill and Friday/ Saturdays doing a weighted run/ march of either 4, 6 or 8 miles.

I have now reached the stage where I am starting to test myself against the course qualifying times and so, on Saturday, looked at the 6 mile speed march requirements on the AACC sheet - (1hour as a formed body). ASSUMED (stupidly) that the weights were for the same as an infantry CFT and weighted my daysack accordingly. Did the run in 1hr 6 mins including stops to pick up my dogs indiscretions and then realised that I SHOULD only have been carrying a max of around 14.5Kg. Needless to say, my knees are a little sore. I've popped the max allowance of Brufen but this doesn't seem to be helping. Any other suggestions guys?

edited once for typo.

2. rest, and after 72 hrs hot and cold packs i would imagine, and if it doesn't clear up in a day or two, go to your Dr!

3. Oh dear. I do hope you've completed the overhead protection. You're going to get annihilated now.... :omfg:

4. It'll give spaz, Reni and Rudies fingers a break from tossing themselves off :lol:

5. I was thinking that the Duke would be in the first wave!

(bloody good run time with 55lbs mind, injured or not!)

6. His grace does seem to have been a bit quiet of late......however, given the time of day of this posting, I'm expecting a night attack or a dawn raid tommorrow! :lol:

7. His grace does seem to have been a bit quiet of late......however, given the time of day of this posting, I'm expecting a night attack or a dawn raid tommorrow! :lol:

8. bloody hell, theres an echo in here
    in here
    in here
    here
    here
    ere
    ere
    e

9. sorry for the extra post. my system is playing up at the moment. All posting times on here are about one hour out; some are double posting and some wont post at all :x

10. RICE

if that doesn't work (didn't for me) then to the quack you should go

11. Presumably of the brown wholemeal type and boiled I take it? :wink:

12. MICE and ease up on the training. As said before if it doesn't ease up after a few days then get yourself down to the GP's and see what he says. Don't **** around with your knees

13. Thanks for the advice gents and Lady. Slapping on industrial levels of deep heat, brufen coming out of my ears and won't be doing circuits at the TAC tonight (cleaning rifles again no doubt...what joy! :roll: ). The p!sser is I'm off to Catterick next week and want to break my new boots in that SHOULD arrive tonight, so limited opportunity for that but, will resist the temptation to go running for a few days.

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Sorry I have not been able to answer but have been off defending the free world (well, Thetford and Arnhem).

oldcolt, there is a simple solution to your problem of running with too much weight.

READ THE FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS NEXT TIME.

Hope that helps.

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

In oldcolt's case it should be RICE T

Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    Tell your knee stories of how great you used to be in the '90s and how great your TA sharpshooter course was until it goes numb with boredom and you can no longer feel the pain.