Knee Injury

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by WFR_BOY, Dec 16, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for some advice,

last week i injured my knee during an orienteering exercise, ive been told by the doc its propably a strained ligament.

I know such injuries are common for footballers etc and can often be pretty serious. Whats the best way to get it sorted asap, as i have a few courses coming up early next year which require me to be fully fit. Im currently wearing one of those neoprene support thingys, which helps but its still a pain in the arrse!

2. Strained ligaments can often take longer to heal than a break. I did my anterior cruciate whilst skiing for the RAF and had it sorted by intensive physio and hyperbaric treatment. Ice it regularly and see a physio privately or you will wait months. It is the type of injury where you may feel able to exercise sooner than is recommended. Don't be tempted, as you will worsen the injury.

3. Strained ligaments can take anywhere from one month to 9months to regain full tensile strength, depending on how well the injury was dealt with at the time. It is therefore advasiable to take the time in the early stages of healing to get correct after care rather than just assume that everything will be alright. Often the ligament will repair itself alone but you get bundles og muscle fibre clumping together which mean the ligament cannot perform properly. If it's treated well then the fibres are able to reform better and so slide over each other. Definately acho above and highly recomend that you go and see a rpivate physiotherapist who will probably ultrasound the area. This will be the best thing you can do really apart from, if it's within 12 days, alternate thermal/cryo therapy to keep the healing process going and to keep the area supported as you are doing. Call a phsyio/sports therapist and get some proper advice if you're nto sure. Anyone worth their salt will be able to give you some idea over the phone.

4. All good advice so far - get it looked at by a Physio and the sooner the better. Depends where you are and whether you are serving but some Military Physio Depts can see you within a couple of days of being referred by your MO. There is not always a long waitinglist. Most depts are open till 23rd and will be v quiet now so even more likely to see you quickly. Worth a try as private treatment is Very expensive.

Meanwhile, rest from painful activities, keep the knee moving - aiming to get full range of movement back as soon as possible ( this helps the new tissue that it is healing with be mobile and strong ) and ice as Remedialtherapy has already mentioned. Also try not to limp - walk as normally as you can.

PM me if you need more advice - good luck

5. Thanks for the advice guys,

Im TA so cant get any help through MO etc, but i have booked to see a physio to get it looked at.

Its a week since i did it and its improved a fair bit. It is no longer painful, but its very unconfortable and often i get a 'clicking' sort of feeling around my kneecap. Think its probably cartlidge (which is a problem throughout my family)

Is this better or worse than ligament damage?

6. See what the physio says.

7. Get it checked out, once they OK it don't do any running or anything else that puts weight on it. I did something similar and for exercise I went to my local pool sat in the hot tub for 5 min follwoed by half hours gentle swimming (not breststroke the kick is hard on the knee) and another few minutes in the tub. Built that up to just over half an hour 3 times a week for 6 months and then started light running again instead of one of swims. All OK now, I just get a slight ache running in cold weather. If you can't swim cycling may be OK depending on the injury. I think the key is heat treatment and to keep it mobile. Good Luck.

8. Does the clicking feel like it is under the knee cap? Is there pain or discomfort around the knee cap? This clicking feeling may indicate ,altracking of the patella, in which case you will need to se a phsyio, at the very least. It may 'feel' a lot better but please don't assume its ok to start normal activity. Although you want to try and keep functioning as normally as possible, as LH suggested it's worth getting some proper advice and even better some treatment.

9. spoke to my missus, who is a physio working for the army. She says ditch the ultra sound as it is not proven to have any effect, its all in the mind apparently!!

Get a PROPER SPORTS physio to check all the ligaments and make sure the clicking is not a subluxing patella.!!

10. Thanks again for the advice,

The clicking is just above the knee cap, and if i put my finger on the spot i can feel it through the skin.

It feels like its getting better, but i will get it checked out in any case.

11. If you want the details of a sports physio in Leics PM me, he is a mate from uni, now the Physio for leics tigers and does private practice also.

12. My thoughts exactly! You must get it checked out by a sports physio....they can get you referred for an MRI scan if they need to.

BTW ice has not been shown to improve tissue healing following soft tissue injury...and in some reports may worsen injury! (although cold is useful for the pain)

Stepping onto physio ground here and I am sure that they will correct me if I am wrong but be very careful about the use of knee supports in the medium to long term....yes they will provide mechanical support to the joint but at the expense of the muscles / tendons returning to full strength.

ND

13. I damaged ligaments a few months ago and the Physiotherapist cleared me to go runnigng and start being active again, However it still feels very delicate and twinges and pulls.

As the Injury happenend a while ago I presume that the healing process has finished and I have to live with what Ive got? is there anyway that I can strengthen the area now, even though the tissues have regrown, as im keen to avoid repeating the injury?

Pill

14. WFR Boy, I presume you are military. Then why did you bother having a Doctor check, diagnose and then set a recovery schedule if all you were going to do was disobey his/her order, come onto ARRSE and ask well meaning Joe Bloggs? There's no corner cutting, no quick fix. Try and get fit too soon and your knee injury could become worse and you will get yourself into bother.

15. WFR Boy, I presume you are military. Then why did you bother having a Doctor check, diagnose and then set a recovery schedule if all you were going to do was disobey his/her order, come onto ARRSE and ask well meaning Joe Bloggs? There's no corner cutting, no quick fix. Try and get fit too soon and your knee injury could become worse and you will get yourself into bother.