Knee injury....HELP!!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by budgie_337, Aug 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi lads,
    I started running a few weeks ago (running is not my thing!) and jumped staright into it, running every day. I could see my distances getting better but noticed a 'niggling' pain in my left knee. I thought it was just one of those things and decided to run through it (Grrrr).
    To cut a short story even shorter i could hardly walk on it. I did the usual RICE thing and took anti-inflammatries and took two weeks out.

Now my knee feels better i'm wondering when to start again and how following my knee injury?

I have also read that these injuries (runner's knee) are quite common.

Has anyone been through anything similar and can anyone give me hope?

Ta.

2. Budgie, slowly is the way to proceed. Try a long walk first, and see how you get on the morning after. Nothing too strenuous, but not a bimble either.

If all's well, then it's a good sign. Give it a couple of days then try a short jog. Progress slowly, and steadily, your body will let you know when you're pushing too hard.

Do you stretch properly before and after running? It can help reduce the likelyhood of injury.

3. Could be CP, quad execises may sort it.

4. Its one of those things, just got to keep streching and strengthing. I have had quite alot of knee injuries and have overcome them by streching and strengthing although I was out of running for a year because of patellar tendonitis.

5. Bugdie,

You say you were running every day - that's too much. Like you I had not run until recently and I picked up injuries running every other day.

You need to take it easy initially, and up the distance / speed work gradually as your body adapts better to the running.

Re the knee injury, as others say above take it slowly at first, rather that than train on it before it's healed

Good luck

6. CP? that callopretamal thing? also know as runners knee?

7. Not sure how to post a link but try this for runners knee: linky

8. I would say give it a bloody good rest - several weeks, before running again. Use other means to continue with fitness training. That's what I did.

Caveat: I do not hold a medical qualification - seek advice if it does not improve.

9. CP is Chondromalacia Patella and yes it is more commonly called runners knee.

If this is the case (consult a doctor, rather than advice from on here or any other website) a period of rest should be followed by strengthening and increasing the flexibility of the surrounding muscle groups.

10. I had a similar problem a few years ago, after asking on here I was told a golden truth I shall never forget...

'Maybe your socks are too tight'

*edeted 4 spleling*

11. Took me 9 months to get over an injury, and rest didn't cure it.
    Stretching controls it. But I still did half-marathons.
    PM me if you want to know more.

12. I agree, I don't always think rest is the best way to get overinjurys, active recovery works better. Although when I suffered from chronic tendonitis, I rested alot as walking caused alot of pain never mind running. On the other hand though, when I sufferd from ITB streching before, on and after the run was the answer.

Dwarf did you have CP?

13. I increased my miles quite quickly (not as much as you but still too quickly) and developed a strange feeling on the outside of my left knee after a session of downhill runs.
    Turns out it was ITB and I ended up not running for 3 weeks to try and let it heal. Started up again and it was ok for a while but then came back. I've ended up having maybe 4 months off to let it fully heal and started up doing more cycling and squat work to buld up the tendon around the knee to try and prevent it from coming back.

14. You up and running again? I had it in my hip and knee.

15. I've done a few runs without it bothering me as of yet.

I haven't started regularly getting in my miles just yet, I'm more pulling a few here and a few there and giving it loads of time to get used to the strain and running on grass where ever I can.
    If in doubt I'm *sigh* going on the eliptical at the gym or going for a bike ride to try and atleast not waste away fitness wise.

When I start pulling the miles regularly again we'll see how the preventative work and rest has helped