Knackered laptop screen

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Fang_Farrier, Mar 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Daughter is reporting her laptop screen is playing. HP laptop, about 18 months old.

Turned it on the day and parts of screen are funny colours.

Not seen it myself yet so can't give too many details but how hard is it to replace a screen and can an amateur do it?

(I say amateur, I used to do own PC stuff including assembly back in early 90s, but realise that a lot has changed since then.)

2. Is it out of warranty? Home repairs would invalidate any warrant. Unlike PCs, I don't think that laptops are the easiest thing to work on, apart from adding RAM. Everything is sealed and tamper proof.

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I bet you cant wait until YouTube arrives in Scotland. Cos then you will be able to watch re-runs of The Krankies for free.

4. If you buy one off the net, they give instructions on the net how to do it. I did one on an old HP with a damaged screen and found it a little fiddly, but not difficult by any means. It was about £80 ithink. Can't remember the Site, but there are a few to compare prices..much cheaper than getting an engineer to do it.

5. Oh that's good to know. I can happily smash up my screen then.

6. I threw the phone at mine and fucked them both.

7. Had a screen go on my Asus laptop a few months back - it was straightforward to replace: got a new (better) screen for about £60 delivered from Laptop Screens and laptop screen replacement. Find out how to replace your broken laptop screen. Satisfaction Guaranteed. who were very helpful finding the exact part.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

its not hard. plenty of destructions on the web, split the lid and get the screen code then type it into ebay. but there are plenty of different option for the same screen. if its a 15.4 screen with 20 pins then a 20pin 15.4 screen will most likely fit.

18 months is coming into led backlight time frame so make sure you get the right code as you cant use one in the other. I've still got an led screen from a repair I did last year for someone.

9. Depends on the price of the replacement screen. What i did was take of the lappy screen and attached the keyboard part of the lappy to a monitor, btw you`ll need a wifi adapter since the arieal is but in the screen. Admittedly it wont be portable but it still usable.

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you can take the aerial out of the lid and use it inside the lower case. if its close the adapter will pick up the router but just a weaker signal.

11. TheIronDuke

My day rate: £1,600

Farting about with a knackered screen because a kid has poked it with a stick: 2 hours

Cost of buying a new laptop at PC World: £250

Do the ******* sums.

12. Wot he said.

I've done an Acer Travelmate and a Dell - fiddly but not hard; care and patience are useful character traits.

Hardest part was sourcing a replacement screen that wouldn't cost twice as much as buying a new laptop.

13. TheIronDuke

Second hand laptop on eBay = £50.

Three clicks and no farting about with a poxy screwdriver.