Kiwi wins right to join Australian army

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaki...-australian-army/story-e6frfkui-1227181797318

AFTER years of being shut out, a former New Zealand soldier living in Perth now has the right to join the Australian army under a loophole for long-term residents.

ONLY citizens, or those with permanent residency who are in the process of becoming Australian citizens, can join the nation's defence force.

Former NZ soldier Duncan Sandilands has been working for years for the right to enlist in the Australian army.
Last month, the 54-year-old had a small victory when he was granted a resident return visa, which is open to people who have lived in Australia since before 1994.

This visa gives Mr Sandilands the permanent residency status required by the Australian Defence Force for enlisting.

Mr Sandilands says he has now been invited by ADF recruitment to sit an entrance test in January.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaki...-australian-army/story-e6frfkui-1227181797318

AFTER years of being shut out, a former New Zealand soldier living in Perth now has the right to join the Australian army under a loophole for long-term residents.

ONLY citizens, or those with permanent residency who are in the process of becoming Australian citizens, can join the nation's defence force.

Former NZ soldier Duncan Sandilands has been working for years for the right to enlist in the Australian army.
Last month, the 54-year-old had a small victory when he was granted a resident return visa, which is open to people who have lived in Australia since before 1994.

This visa gives Mr Sandilands the permanent residency status required by the Australian Defence Force for enlisting.

Mr Sandilands says he has now been invited by ADF recruitment to sit an entrance test in January.

I just wonder why? 54 isn't really old for most occupations, but Army?

I hope he turns up wearing an All Black jersey.

IWC

Clanker
Joining at 54! Note the retirement age is 60. The Aussie army is packed full of clapped out WO's and passed over Maj who are seeing their time out to retirement.
The ADF is an attractive option to many older applicants (particularly reserves) as the pension and other benefits (free private healthcare, house subsidy etc) and access to compensation and DVA as they fall apart secure them financially.
Unfortunately does not make for a dynamic defence force though.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Joining at 54! Note the retirement age is 60. The Aussie army is packed full of clapped out WO's and passed over Maj who are seeing their time out to retirement.
The ADF is an attractive option to many older applicants (particularly reserves) as the pension and other benefits (free private healthcare, house subsidy etc) and access to compensation and DVA as they fall apart secure them financially.
Unfortunately does not make for a dynamic defence force though.

Spot on. The amazing thing is we have a massive army of public servants - 22,635 of them on exclusive defence activities, and a staggering number of the full time ADF members are also involved in similar non warfare related activities.

Typical from DPSRM: SGT to WO2 - RODUM management experience. Knowledge of budget, scheduling, QA and document writing experience. An understanding of DMO processes and the Kinnaird two-pass process also advantageous.

Or: CAPT to MAJ - Project Management skills and experience. Understanding of DMO processes and Kinnard two-pass requirements. Contracting experience will also be useful.

You have to ask, with 22,600 civilians and a large number of elderly seniors doing the similar work, who is actually doing any real defence work?

My best mate left HMF for NZ 5 years ago to join the NZDF, became an NZ citizen and is now transferring to the ADF. He, likens the NZDF to a social welfare scheme. You can leave and come back anytime and as many times as you like. Says our TA are more professional.

My best mate left HMF for NZ 5 years ago to join the NZDF, became an NZ citizen and is now transferring to the ADF. He, likens the NZDF to a social welfare scheme. You can leave and come back anytime and as many times as you like. Says our TA are more professional.

From what I've heard, he's probably correct.

All my experience was in HM forces before I emigrated to Godzone 12 years ago.

D

Deleted 60082

In the last 2 years, I have learned of a number of friends of mine who left the NZ Forces over 20 years ago, being offered service, generally one rank up!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads