Kiwi Wanting to Join The TA

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by raygun57, Aug 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am keen on joining a TA unit in London. I have looked at the entry requirements and have the following concerns:

I am 31 currently, 32 in February.
    I have only been living in the UK for 14 months.

In my favour:
    I am a Commonwealth citizen (kiwiland) with a valid visa and renewal options on said visa for the forseeable future (until indefinite leave to remain is applied for and granted in 3.5 years or so).
    I have served in the New Zealand TA so have some prior military experience.

What are my options, if any, for joining the TA?

2. I think you will be allowed to join with no real dramas. During my last posting in the Army there was a female kiwi who prior to joining the regulars had been TA and had served on Telic, damn good soldier for a chick too!
  3. Shouldn't be a problem, when I was a PSI of a TA coy. in East London in the early '90s I had soldiers from Australia, Nigeria and Zimbabwe on the strength! :D
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Usual advice applies - go and visit a few units and see which ones you like the look of. The recruiting staff will give you the accurate information about joining as a Kiwi.

Good hunting.

PS Where abouts in London? If you are part of the Acton/Shepherds Bush Kiwi outstation, there is a good outfit at White City :D
  5. Logic would suggest so but, predictably, experience makes me cynical!

Our Sqn has taken two colonials on strength in the past 18 months. One NZ, one ozzie, both with previous military service. The first took 16 months ( I think ) to become a Trooper. The second, despite having been promoted to LCpl, was paid as a Recruit until very recently. The only things which speeded (!) up the process was that he is imminently deploying to Helmand.

Go for it, but my advice would be to:

a. Bring photocopies of every scrap of documentation you have, including all relating to your NZ TA service

b. Pester annoyingly every couple of months.

Best of luck.

Edited to add:

Did you know that London is the home of an astonishingly professional, battle-proven volunteer recconnaisance regiment with an exciting and fulfilling role training and on operations? With a good sprinkling of like minded colonials?

No? Well then young man, head to Putney, on a Wednesday night for an evening in the company of friendly cavalrymen with war stories and pretty girls galore.

Shameless plug ends.
  6. Hey mate, thanks for the tip.

All that stuff will be in a box of some sort back in NZ! I wouldn't be looking for any special leg-up due to being in the NZ TA, in fact I would prefer to start afresh and learn things your way as it has been 5 years or so since I was last in green.

It was more if it would help my application just to join as I read that they require you to be resident for 5 years before applying.

My main thing is just getting in!
  7. msr

msr LE

Given that the TA is approx 6,000 people short, I expect whichever unit you choose will rip your arm off.

8. Sounds similar to what I did in NZ. Good times. Do I ring ahead or just front up on any given Wendesday?
  9. No worries on all your original concerns mate.
    As far as age goes, you'll have no problems when you're 32
    And as far as how long you've been living here in the worries there either as you're from a commonwealth country.

If you want some advice about which units to go for in relation to what you want to get out of joining up (ie sigs.infantry, armour etc) send me a pm and I'll sort you out a list of options.
    H .
  10. Thanks Duke. I'm living in SW, but contracting around the city at the mo so anywhere works for me. I used to drive 2 hours to get to my lads in NZ because it was such a good bunch so location not so much an issue.

Whats the outfit you are referring to? On the army recruiter site I can only see the London Regiment and the Royal Yeomanry..

11. No problem Raygun.

Obviously, do have a good look around. I'd be suprised if this bunch weren't your thing, though -

Most people are on block leave at the mo', but you can rock up to Fulham House, next to Putney Bridge (just punch SW6 3JS into from the week after next onwards. You could also ring 020 7384 4201 to chat to the PSAO - he'll be happy to chat about the Squadron and your circumstances.

PM me if you've any questions.
  12. msr

msr LE

13. Charlie Cong you shameless blagger!!
    Is this W's latest recruiting policy..coshing confused kiwis/aussies wondering around on Arrse!?
  14. Yeah! :D

And that's just the virtual recruiting strategy. The real world one involves scout LRs screeching to a halt, the thunk of G1098 shovel on skull, giggles and the roar of a disappearing engine.

I'm not in W Sqn, by the way, stinky black tshirt wearing RTR aping wannabe officers that they are. But if Raygun decided that he'd prefer a unit in South London, I would have another suggestion up my sleeve!
  15. Thanks for that! That has a whole other subset of units that weren't on the army recruiter site including HAC, The Rifles and 10 Coy 4 PARA.