Kit to take to Depot

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by malv, May 3, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what kit you will be required to take with you to depot? I start soon and wouldnt mind knowing what I have to get. Been told I have to take an iron and maybe a suit, what else?

Also are there any items which you are not aloud to take?

2. Didn't they send you a kit list? Obviously not...

I have no idea what people are allowed/not allowed to take these daya - apparently they get duvets and god knows what else.

I was at MCTC a few days ago having a look round - good to see they still do bed blocks!! :D
  3. Don't take a Mk2 Corvette Stingray, it will never fit in your locker.

Best thing you can take is an open mind, a big sense of humour and a sound attitude.

You might find a couple of tins of Kiwi black boot polish and a decent set of on and off brushes good, the NAAFI ones are pony.

A good iron is a good idea, be prepared to share it with your room mates... and don't sulk when it breaks after a week or two.

Avoid taking a sea lion or Dachsund with the trots, there is little space for stowing wildlife and pets :D The same can be said for Kaleidascopes and etch-a-sketchs
  4. No they aint given me no kit list as yet. Might go ask them about it sometime next week. They will no doubt give me a list during my enlistment, which is about a week before depot.

As for an open mind, sence of humour, an all the works, I'm sure ill be fine in that area :wink: just need to build my fitness up again. Been injured for the past 6 weeks, which hasnt helped me, especially so close to my intake. Oh well, thats sods law aint it :roll:
  5. Take a packet of Rich Tea. Plus a tin opener and a rubber plant. Also consider spare pillow cases and a head scarf.
  6. A smoothie maker and an empty 'snap on' tool box along with a picture of a lifeboat and a roll of emery cloth will make you appear ready for anything the Training NCOs may throw at you.

If you have room you could also take a disgarded radiator and a Belt sander
  7. Are you still allowed to take pet monkeys to basic training?
  8. At the (not inconsiderable) risk of being well and truly sand blasted, I suspect that malv is after reasonably useful information? :D

Having said that, I turned up to Basic Training in the late '80s, and discovered that my Mum had helpfully put a teddy in one of my bags, with a little label saying 'Mummy's Little Soldier' on it. It was discovered within seconds by the Section Corporal and held aloft on parade. Great.

Malv - pack your own bags! :D
  9. LOL, pack my own bags! Thats one thing ill be sure to do!!!! :wink:

In regard to what everyone else has said, ill be sure to pack my playstation, gameboy, Hi-Fi system and half my bedroom :roll:
  10. Take a flask full of omlette mix, it will be a hell of an ice breaker when you're in the room on the first night with 8 - 12 other lads all introducing yourselves uncomfortably.

You'll be by far the most prepared and popular, when you come up trumps with a shed load of omlettes for supper

If your running short of space, why not perfect a Bernard Manning / George Formby accent.... then when the troop Leader, Plt Commander introduces himself, you can reply... 'Its a lovely day for it...Mother fcuker'
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Take some stuff for blisters, and then take some more to sell to your fellow recruits, take a decent towel and for gods sakes a watch that is five minutes too fast.

What's the rules on mobile phones? Banned I hope, just like the gramophone was in my day.
  12. Blister kit!!! Never thought of that. Ill deffo include at least one of them. Should really come in handy
  13. Take a spare urinal and trumping pot, as when its your turn to do them on the block job rota, there is nothing worse than de-skiddying a porcelin after 24 rotten arsed recruits have been through it.

Half a pound of midget gems are advisory, when you're getting wailled at during your first drill lesson and he wants to pull your arms off and beat you with the soggy ends. Simply say 'Calm down mate' and offer him a sweet from your pocket.
  14. Take a good solictor with you. You can use him or her when the nasty Sgt starts shouting at you, and have a writ served against them.
  15. A mug from here would go down well :D :D :D