Kit to buy for an Op Tour

D

Deleted 20555

I'd take a large gentleman's umbrella - useful for when you have to sit around sweating gently in the sun, general walking stick, water collector and people will recognise you if forget the password when checking on the guard during the evening.

Boxy

GCM
Peter, you'll get the ammo pouches as part of your Osprey set up but that's all.

Army_Rizzle

War Hero
My regiment is supplying the battle belts for H16.

imedic

Clanker
Is the advice in this thread still fairly current? I've heard that what is currently being issued pretty much covers everything (That's the DS answer though so may not be 100% accurate). As H17 will be a winter tour I've been recommended to invest in a decent pair of wellies but not sure what else is worth spending my beer tokens on.

Army_Rizzle

War Hero
I wouldnt buy anything tbh, all the kit is spot on now. What role are you deploying in?

I'm going out on H17 my first tour. ppl are saying not to spend out as issue kit is good now but what would your advise be on a helmet cam?

I'm going out on H17 my first tour. ppl are saying not to spend out as issue kit is good now but what would your advise be on a helmet cam?
There's a britFor SOI out about them. Restricted, so I couldn't publish if I could get hold of a copy. In a word (or two) don't. The MoD claims the images IIRC and it will get you more trouble than it's worth imo.

I fly out tomorrow and we got told you are not allowed to touch your helmet bar the cover that is issued. This includes green tape, black rubber stuff and netting. Obviously though this isnt being applied too well as all the H15 briefing photos etc we have seen, the above banned stuff is still being used. I have 2 lads out already and they said its not being enforced very well.

No wah intended but what do you mean buy this?
I'm going from memory of what the BritFor SOI says. I could be wrong but as it's not on the web, I can't quote it.

Unfortunately, without going back out there and copying the SOI I can't add anything else. If there's a poster out there and can quote from the SOI it would be useful albeit as it's Restricted .....

The only thing I can find of relevance is: BBC Three Our War in Afghanistan series evades MoD camera ban | Beehive City
Helmet cameras are not used routinely in the British Army. A soldier has to have the permission of his commanding officer if he wants to use one lest it interfere in operations or offer up secrets should a soldier be captured.
Not an unbiased site, but seems to support my recollection of the SOI.

I fly out tomorrow and we got told you are not allowed to touch your helmet bar the cover that is issued. This includes green tape, black rubber stuff and netting. Obviously though this isnt being applied too well as all the H15 briefing photos etc we have seen, the above banned stuff is still being used. I have 2 lads out already and they said its not being enforced very well.
Again, there's an SOI on helmet identification marks and that two wraps of green tape around the rim is allowed. Cutting off the vertical strips of elastic and the top horizontal one is common but unlikely to be approved.

Crafty990

War Hero
The current SOP's for the infantry bn I'm attached to are that helmets are to be fully scrimmed up. The clothing store is issuing scrim net and cutting the old MTP issue from last Herrick into strips. Looks a bit Dad's Army like.

The current SOP's for the infantry bn I'm attached to are that helmets are to be fully scrimmed up. The clothing store is issuing scrim net and cutting the old MTP issue from last Herrick into strips. Looks a bit Dad's Army like.
I got strips of MTP issued in the Black Bag and thats where they are the the moment.

It's going back to how we cammed up the old '44 pattern helmet (yes, I'm that old), but using strips of MTP rather than hessian. I've seen the scrim on helmets and some not. Seems personal preference.

tape

Old-Salt
So my choc chip helmet net is going to be a no no...

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
12x units deploying on H16 have been given clear direction on Helmet Cam.

Strips of MTP material are to be tied into the elastic on the helmet cover. This is to be done prior to deployment.

It's going back to how we cammed up the old '44 pattern helmet (yes, I'm that old), but using strips of MTP rather than hessian. I've seen the scrim on helmets and some not. Seems personal preference.
Wow.
Nice Rifle!

Latest Threads