Kit that used to be issued and where to get it now.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BaldBaBoon, Nov 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I used to moan about how crap army kit used to be like everyone else when I was serving.Now that I am having to purchase my own workwear and not having it replaced free of cost, however often I wanted to......I am starting to get all misty eyed about some of the issue stuff.

I am trying to get hold of Specifically the MT GAUNTLETS.....nope, its not a fetish thing....But these nigh on indestructable leather gloves were issued to MT's in seeming never ending numbers for crane/hiab/plant/Ubre crews to use.The gauntlet part was normally butchered off as soon as out of the packet, and after about 3 months of use you could actually bend your fingers.....but once worn in these gloves were great.

The multitudes of high tech spandex/kevlar safety gloves avaliable ( at great cost ) just simply are not up to the abuse that those old gauntlets could put up with.

I have tried the usual suspects like Silvermans, and I have seen these for sale on ebay as WWII despatch riders gloves ( 45 quid )......are they still being issued and more to the point are any surplus shops selling them at a affordable price?

Attached Files:

2. These gloves are no longer issued, but they may still turn up in a surplus shop. I backloaded a couple of pairs a year or two ago.

You'll just have to keep looking.

3. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

Barring any more local sources, I have a pair of Size 9s that you could have.
  4. I know how you feel, with winter here i found myself looking at a Dangerous Brian hat and those nasty issue fleeces, thankfully good old Motherplucker stepped in and stopped me, nostalgia is setting in very rapidly
  5. COSTCO do an three pack of leather gloves like the gaunlet with the gaunlet cut off. (as above).

In a light brown/tan colour.

Called rigger gloves.

I use them all the time especialy when I am cutting up leather kips.

Very comfy to wear stright from the packet.

Around £20 plus vat.

Well worth a look.
  6. In COSTCO this afternoon, they do not appear to have the RIGGER Glove at the moment, but they have a wollen lined version of the leather glove.

3 pairs for £27-01 including vat.

They are labled as cold weather work gloves and made by WELLS LAMONT under the code; work 2500.

Wells Lamont Retail Group

Hope this is useful.