Kit that used to be issued and where to get it now.

I used to moan about how crap army kit used to be like everyone else when I was serving.Now that I am having to purchase my own workwear and not having it replaced free of cost, however often I wanted to......I am starting to get all misty eyed about some of the issue stuff.

I am trying to get hold of Specifically the MT GAUNTLETS.....nope, its not a fetish thing....But these nigh on indestructable leather gloves were issued to MT's in seeming never ending numbers for crane/hiab/plant/Ubre crews to use.The gauntlet part was normally butchered off as soon as out of the packet, and after about 3 months of use you could actually bend your fingers.....but once worn in these gloves were great.

The multitudes of high tech spandex/kevlar safety gloves avaliable ( at great cost ) just simply are not up to the abuse that those old gauntlets could put up with.

I have tried the usual suspects like Silvermans, and I have seen these for sale on ebay as WWII despatch riders gloves ( 45 quid )......are they still being issued and more to the point are any surplus shops selling them at a affordable price?

Attachments

These gloves are no longer issued, but they may still turn up in a surplus shop. I backloaded a couple of pairs a year or two ago.

You'll just have to keep looking.

Regards,

Q.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Barring any more local sources, I have a pair of Size 9s that you could have.

I know how you feel, with winter here i found myself looking at a Dangerous Brian hat and those nasty issue fleeces, thankfully good old Motherplucker stepped in and stopped me, nostalgia is setting in very rapidly

I used to moan about how crap army kit used to be like everyone else when I was serving.Now that I am having to purchase my own workwear and not having it replaced free of cost, however often I wanted to......I am starting to get all misty eyed about some of the issue stuff.

I am trying to get hold of Specifically the MT GAUNTLETS.....nope, its not a fetish thing....But these nigh on indestructable leather gloves were issued to MT's in seeming never ending numbers for crane/hiab/plant/Ubre crews to use.The gauntlet part was normally butchered off as soon as out of the packet, and after about 3 months of use you could actually bend your fingers.....but once worn in these gloves were great.

The multitudes of high tech spandex/kevlar safety gloves avaliable ( at great cost ) just simply are not up to the abuse that those old gauntlets could put up with.

I have tried the usual suspects like Silvermans, and I have seen these for sale on ebay as WWII despatch riders gloves ( 45 quid )......are they still being issued and more to the point are any surplus shops selling them at a affordable price?
COSTCO do an three pack of leather gloves like the gaunlet with the gaunlet cut off. (as above).

In a light brown/tan colour.

Called rigger gloves.

I use them all the time especialy when I am cutting up leather kips.

Very comfy to wear stright from the packet.

Around £20 plus vat.

Well worth a look.

In COSTCO this afternoon, they do not appear to have the RIGGER Glove at the moment, but they have a wollen lined version of the leather glove.

3 pairs for £27-01 including vat.

They are labled as cold weather work gloves and made by WELLS LAMONT under the code; work 2500.

Wells Lamont Retail Group

Hope this is useful.