Kit Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased some comfort items of kit from RVOPs and thought i might as well share my thoughts with you, So:

LOWE ALPINE SARACEN 120Lt DPM BERGEN: Fantastic piece of kit very robust, hard wearing and best of all adjustable back size for added comfort, this really can take any load of your shoulders. 10/10

Exped Waterproof drybags bergen Collection:
2x 13lt side pocket dry bags and 1x 110lt main compartment bag. perfect for keeping kit dry does what it says on the tin really. 8/10

Exped waterproof drybags multipack:
pack contains 1x XS 1x S 1x M 1x L drybags as above but varying sizes. 8/10

Ranger super lite sleeping bag: perfect 2/3 season sleeping bag that packs down to almost nothing perfect for UK temperate conditions this is second one in 7 years (other one got ripped) overall great for weight reduction but maintaining warmth. 9/10

Multimat 3/4 size OG: this is so much better than the issue roll mat self inflates in just over 1 min so u can sort out your own admin, but can be manually inflated when needed. Keeps you warm and adds plenty of insulation when dossing. 10/10

RVOPS Basha Poles: No frills does what it says on the tin very robust and well made. 8/10

Bivvy zip marker ring great piece of kit. Perfect for kit ID in the dark comes in a variety of colours and 2 sizes. 8/10

Lowa Patrol Boot(NON-GORE TEX)
very comfy requires no breaking in and dry very fast if they get wet which is hardly ever brilliant for keeping feet toasty and dry on stag. 10/10

Petzl E+lite great mini head torch very robust and very handy in the field,perfect for keeping hands free.9/10

Any questions about above please ask.
I am also looking in to buying the All Arms Webbing Complete set by vanguard from kit monster if anyone has this belt kit please share opinions.
Thanks Bull :D (edited for mongness)

LCPL_Bull said:
yes, why do you ask?
Then you have FAR too much money.

Keen kit won't impress the girls you know. Try cider and vodka, worked for me when I was a lad. :wink:

The comments are given based on a week attending an infantry battle camp with 37CTT which is a lot tougher than a standard cadet fieldcraft exercise.

I don't need a 120 litre bergen for a months hard living and my kit is twice as big as anyone elses! The bergen must have been great fr lugging from the coach to the accommodation! Well worth it!

STOP buying kit. The issue kit is getting better all the time. Save your money.

Seriously... What the feck.

If its a toss up between DPM kit and drugs enjoy your new webbing.

If not save your money for feck sake!

Closet_Jibber said:

your missing the point closet_jibber, do you know just how many cans of stella (or shoot fruits) you can kit in a 120 litre bergen?

speedybham said:
Closet_Jibber said:

your missing the point closet_jibber, do you know just how many cans of stella (or shoot fruits) you can kit in a 120 litre bergen?
Aren't Bergans for spare socks and your doss bag?

G

GLESGA-NED

I don't know about you young lads taking drugs fella, but you must be selling it to be able to buy all that Shiiiiiiite. I might do it as resettlement course. It'll pay the morgage.

Legs said:
And did it really require multiple threads?
Think about it. You don't just fart once do you?

LCPL_Bull said:
Exped Waterproof drybags bergen Collection:
2x 13lt side pocket dry bags and 1x 110lt main compartment bag. perfect for keeping kit dry does what it says on the tin really. 8/10

Exped waterproof drybags multipack:
pack contains 1x XS 1x S 1x M 1x L drybags as above but varying sizes. 8/10
can't comment on most of the stuff, nor can I comment from a millitary point of view, but I can say that these are very useful bits of kit for anyone spending time outside. I use a medium size one to keep spare boxers and socks dry, usualy alongside whatever other clothing I can fit in there. keeps them perfectly dry, and means there's allways a nice pair of dry boxers available when you're soaked through to the skin :D .

on the other hand you may be better off with the ortleib version, which uses a sort of rubberised matiriel, which seems harder wearing (from a friends I took a look at just before I got my exped) and irrc you can also get them in black, which is less obvious for millitary use, as opposed to the lovely bright red, yellow ect that exped's version's come in. (although I doubt you would be too worried about the opposition spotting it, I suppose you may need to strap it to the back of your bag for some reason.)

I would listen to the advice on kit/life balance. If you can use cheaper kit to do the job, then use it. don't buy kit unless:
1) you need it, or it would be realy realy useful, but not vital (I would class the drybags as useful but not vital, you could use plastic bags, but they wouldn't do the job nearly as well)
OR
2)it's something that would be useful inside and outside of cadets (eg a decent multi-tool is something that would be useful for allsorts of jobs, even after you've left cadets)

don't get anything more expensive than neccecary for option 1.
option 2 is where I find it is realy worth spending a bit extra (again using the multi-tool as an example, my leatherman should last me for many years, while a cheapy eurohike would have cost much less, but only lasted a year or two.)
course my "gucchi kit experince" is mostly with the scouts, where things are a little different, as most of the gear is civilian style (although I did have a waltish tendancy to go for cammo gear for a while) but we don't get issued with any kind of outdoor gear (I know as a cadet you get issued most of the basics.)

as it says in some song or other "girls don't like boys, girls like cars and money"

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Closet_Jibber said:
Legs said:
And did it really require multiple threads?
Think about it. You don't just fart once do you?
I don't fart at all. Far too uncouth. Even if I did, they'd sound like angels singing and smell of roses.

What about the knife?

Every soldier needs a massive knife.

I imagine John Bull will do an all singing all dancing Gore Tex one by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads