Kit Marking

Paint a square on your kit depending on what colour your DZ/TRF is then write your brigade/battalion/company on and zap no underneath all in tip ex. Never loose your kit again.

I have velcro flaps sewn over all the name/no/sqn patches on my webbing / daysack / bergen etc. Stops your smock from wearing it all off.

Also, on bergen and daysack I have name tapes (like go on your shirt) with (name) (last 3)

seems to work.

therealbigdizzle said:
I have velcro flaps
There is much to say about that.

Sadly, I'm too drunk.

polar69 said:
therealbigdizzle said:
I have velcro flaps sewn over all the name/no/sqn patches on my webbing / daysack / bergen etc. Stops your smock from wearing it all off.

Erm......say again ?
on bergens / webbing etc there is a little material patch to write details on.

as per the issue black holdall, I have flaps with velcro round the edges that cover them up so they don't wear off.

works great.

Use a permanent marker on the main body not label and iron the ink in.Heat sets the ink and wont wear off anywear as quick.

polar69 said:
Why not just re-mark them ?
because if somebody was nice enough to supply me with bergans with cool flaps on for name writing I really cannot be arsed to keep writing my name on there for the sake of it!

therealbigdizzle said:
Which is very easy to rip off and leaves you unable to prove it was your kit nicked anyway.

Write your name/zap/unit on the patch by all means, then write it in permananent laundry marker somewhere discrete, like a lining of a pocket or pouch, where it isnt obvious. If some pikey cnut 'minesweeps' it, then removes the label and smugly thinks he's got away with it, you can show him the hidden evidence!

And then batter him.

I find that writing my zap under every flap on combats (ie pocket flaps) works well.

And under the hood on the bergan, pouches etc.

As an added bonus I attach name tags to my kit too.

My bergan, webbing and grip have a plastic rectangle from an ammo box, with my details on. It packs away when you don't need it too.

As above, berol permanent water fast ink, ironed on works well.

walt_of_the_walts said:
therealbigdizzle said:
Which is very easy to rip off and leaves you unable to prove it was your kit nicked anyway.

Write your name/zap/unit on the patch by all means, then write it in permananent laundry marker somewhere discrete, like a lining of a pocket or pouch, where it isnt obvious. If some pikey cnut 'minesweeps' it, then removes the label and smugly thinks he's got away with it, you can show him the hidden evidence!

And then batter him.
oh I do that too with great satisfaction.

most pieces of military kit have a flap, pocket or other piece of vacant material that doesn't get either seen, used or exposed. that's the spot.

As "Walt of the Walts " Said, Mark it in the correct spot, but also mark it in an out of the way spot that the thief typically wont think to look.

Then again, you can sometimes count on the stupidity of thieves. I once was doing Rifle PT one fine autumn morning at Ft. Drum's north 40 and noticed the Joe in front of Me had a Very familiar initial, last #SSN on his T-shirt. :x Fcuker had rifled my ruck while I was on LP/OP. Top had him strip and low crawl the perimeter.

Andi_Licious said:
What is the best marker to write my name / number on my kit with? Tried a few things but it just fades or doesnt stand out enough.

Drew
Get your mum to sew in labels on all your kit including your plimsoll bag.

Use a good quality permy marker, and go over your kit a few times after washes. Should last out.

If your going on OPs dont be scared to mark it in an obvious place on the outside of your kit. I know a lot of people will think its a crap idea, but if your kits blatantly marked with your name or zap number then its less likely to get nicked.

I marked all my kit like that and it never went missing.

Apart from a pair of those dpm gloves we got on telic 8. I had wore them for a howling job in the city and we were told we could exchange them for a new pair, as the gear we had on would have to get incinerated.

A few weeks later I spotted an LEC wearing my gloves, had my name on the outside. The QMs had obviously just threw them in a skip somewhere! If the poor cnut knew what I'd been using them for he would of threw them back in the skip aswell. (or would he???)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Sappers 46
B The Training Wing 7
Flip_Flop_the_Gog The Intelligence Cell 17