Kit Insurance

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by stoneyuk, Apr 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,
    I wanted to pick your brains regarding Kit Insurance. I am a debt advisor for an organisation who deal only with military personnel (You may have seen our advert in Soldier Magazine, Sixth Sense and others). Recently I have had creditors refusing to accept allowances for Kit Insurance when i am negotiating reduced payments for my clients albeit it for an IVA or Debt Management Plan. The route I have been forced to take has been by obtaining a letter from the soldier in question's UWO, RAO or CO saying this is a necessary requirement. However soldiers understandably don't want their CO knowing they have a debt problem, and unless I have a direct referral from a UWO, it is a route I cannot take. I have scanned Queen's Regs searching for a directive but have come up short. I wonder if anyone out there can give me a few pointers as to how I can put this issue to bed once and for all and get the service men and women the cover they deserve, whilst keeping their creditors happy that Kit Insurance not an extravagant expense which can be ignored for their own gain. What I am looking for is something official confirming Kit Insurance is a requirement.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  2. It doesn't exist. What you may like to consider as an alternative is funding said insurance from the IVA fees generated for your company.
  3. I hope that by the time you are looking protecting their kit insurance you have already secured any existing life/personal accident cover?
  4. The creditors don't query life/personal accident cover unless they consider it to be to high.
    Soldiers who have taken life/personal accident cover are well covered. if they don't have any of the above said cover, we always advise them to shop around and get some.
  5. Thanks for the reply.
  6. Thank you for the suggestion. Our organisation is funded by various charities so we can give free help. We have never charged a soldier for our work, and it would be wrong to use charitable funds to pay creditors.

I appreciate the comment that what I am looking for does not exist. Thank you.
  7. We were recently advised (by Abacus) that singlies with no dependents do not need life insurance.