Kit Insurance - How Much?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by wg100, Dec 14, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Originally put into the finance section, but it occured to me that this might be the better location.

Have been looking into getting kit insurance for a pending deployment. However, how much should I be looking at insuring my stuff for? Can someone provide a value for the standard 1157 issue + MODACS?

Thanks
    wg100

2. I think Naafi insurance reccomend a minimum for issue kit of about 5000-6000 but i am out of date on this on top of that is any personal possesions like camera, laptop etc.

I would expect a premium for this of about £120 per year.

But as i say i am a bit out of date.

3. Rememer when you deploy on operations and send a "confy box" you can claim a refund of kit insurance to cover your equipment in transit for the journey out there and back. Just make sure your policy states clearly that it covers your kit "worldwide" and "in transit". See your admin office fopr details of claiming.

4. Bump. Anyone able to assist?

5. I pay 12 a month through NAAFI for 5k kit and 5k home contents

6. I've had mine for about 14 years now from Abacus and not had any problems. (They usually have local advisors who will come and discuss if you need it (mine was in Germany)). Covers 1157 and all my personal stuff too. I'm paying about £16 a month but obviously that would depend on the value you decide to insure is.

The insurance refund mentioned by GrumpyGit (cant remember the proper name for it) is a flat rate of £41.50 EACH WAY!
    So there's £83 to help straight away :D I've just had it and you normally just have to show the admin office your policy statement to prove you have cover.

Edited for spulling mistook :roll:

7. I just called this company and it costs £63.98 a year for the reservist/stab policy for £3000 cover. I wonder why it costs so much more as a territorial to get your kit insured?
    I tried adding my kit insurance on to my normal house insurance policy but military kit is classed as buisiness equipment so the Halifax won't insure it!