Kit Git Required

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jockaneese, Apr 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,
    Just found this pouch in amongst all my buckshee kit...
    Its about 4" squared (20cm for you metric types)
    1/2" deep and has some sort of reinforcement inside to make it stiffer. (ohh i say!)
    the top flap doesn't have any fastning at all.
    trouble is i haven't got the foggiest where or when it came from.
    looks slightly 58 pattern.
    Any clues?
    cheers in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Looks a bit like a prismatic compass pouch but I am probably wrong

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

In fact I know I am wrong as there is no fastener

4. It's a Yorkie bar holder...lol

5. I've seen these for sale on ebay years ago.

Seller claimed they were issued to troops in Ulster. Theory being that they could rest their SLRs in this pouch on their belt.

6. At first glance, I thought it may be a sandwich pouch, but I've just measured some bread and it wouldn't quite fit.

Of course, it may be an officer's sandwich pouch - you know, with the crusts cut off...

My serious guess is that it's something for a bit of NBC kit. Exactly what, I wouldn't know, as I was never entrusted with anything more advanced than Detector Paper, One Colour.

7. if it was a holder for the buttstock of a rifle, why have the top flap? doesn't make sense.
    maybe intended to carry several FFD's for easy access? or some other bit of medical kit?

8. Binoculars pouch, possibly?

9. It doesn't have a top flap, that's a webbing loop for it to hang down from the belt.

Also, it was supposed to be worn on the front left hand side so a soldier could rest the magazine of his SLR in it.

10. We were always told that as another writer has stated, it was for us lazy so-and-so's to stand there looking warry with our SLR butt resting IN the pouch.
    The drawback was that it was nere impossible to then shoulder the weapon in a hurry.

Most people gave up on that idea and used them to put the hexi stove in as they were the perfect size!!

11. that would explain the lack of fastening.
    because it also doesn't realy make sense to have a top flap that has no fastening.

but then, why have the belt loop, and the C hooks? differing mounting options?

12. Yes, just like the "SAS" pouches which were designed to hang lower than the belt.

[​IMG]

13. It fits a Hexi cooker quite nicely,

Bit rubbish on your set of '58 though