Kit date and ID

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by polar69, Nov 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. These three items are going on ebay

Can anyone give me a rough date od issue for the cape ( if thats what it is ) and also date the webbing , I was thinking '38 pattern

Attached Files:

2. Looks like 37 pattern webbing and a Home Guard cape.

3. Forgot to say that the cape was introduced in late 1940.

4. Though the small pack has the wrong straps (as usual).

5. Thanks chaps , all now available on ebay

6. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Hope it's all labelled SAS/SF/Para/RM.

7. Actually no , although I had some 58 that I labelled "AGC RLC SAS and cadets" just for a giggle

The description for the 58 webbnig I'm selling contains the disclaimer that I cannot say which regt used the webbing however it was last used by a local para det

The local para det is in fact acf , para badged non the less

8. Cape,Anti-Gas

9. looking at the first picture.
    What did the neighbours say when you were recreating Abu Ghraib in your back garden? 8O

10. Ssh !! I have a delivery of butchers hooks and leadshot filled hosepipe coming next week, only hope next doors don't notice I have tapped into their electricity supply for the electric shock generator

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Doesn't the lad own any shoes ?

12. More to the point, how long was it before the lad clicked that it wasn't a genuine Batman outfit?

13. Don't think so, look here: http://www.pegasusmilitaria.com/page21.html

14. Found this:

"British Army green rubberised groundsheet which doubles as a cape. When not worn they are normally carried on the outside of the small pack under the two staps. Dated 1950's. "

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/products/BE016.jpg

15. Yes indeed - the lad is wearing the predecessor to the poncho, known as the cape-groundsheet. The anti-gas cape was a very different beast. The ones I remember were cut just like the one in the illustration, but they were produced in a disruptive pattern camouflage. They were most unpleasant to wear as they were completely non-breathable. They were designed as a precaution against the liquid type of chemical agent.