Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kit advice

I practically live in Lowa Zephyrs.

A great lightweight but strong boot with a real trainer feel. Some people don't like the look of them and I admit they are an acquired taste. It does make them look more trainer like.

Caveat Emptor, the sizing of Lowas is a bit random.

A great lightweight but strong boot with a real trainer feel. Some people don't like the look of them and I admit they are an acquired taste. It does make them look more trainer like.

I bought myself a pair of these a month ago. I've been very pleased with them so far. They feel really solid and well made, but very comfortable too.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
I bought myself a pair of these a month ago. I've been very pleased with them so far. They feel really solid and well made, but very comfortable too.
Ex infantry here also...got a little PT Postie job on the go now and need similar advice.

Need an all weather ankle boot which will take plenty of miles at a tabbing pace (ish).

Would also wear for hiking etc on days off.

My current (issue) Lowa dessies are giving up the ghost and the Royal Mail issue choice is not my cup of char...

Help me chaps...your Crimbo cards depend on it!!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

I've got some of these as winter (snow) boots
Very comfy & warm, the sole flex is more than the standard Lowa's - completely agree with the sizing. The best thing i've found is to measure your feet then use the guide on the Lowa site to convert into EU sizes.

My 'all year' walking boots are standard Lowa Combat Goretex - took about 150km (in 5km increments) to break them in properly, wouldn't swap them for anything now.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
I've got some of these as winter (snow) boots
Very comfy & warm, the sole flex is more than the standard Lowa's - completely agree with the sizing. The best thing i've found is to measure your feet then use the guide on the Lowa site to convert into EU sizes.

My 'all year' walking boots are standard Lowa Combat Goretex - took about 150km (in 5km increments) to break them in properly, wouldn't swap them for anything now.
I just don’t like the extended sole design mate...can’t get warm and fuzzy over them.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I just don’t like the extended sole design mate...can’t get warm and fuzzy over them.
Neither do I - Got them in Finland whilst there with work earlier this year, wore them for five days and they felt like i'd had them forever, so i'm prepared to overlook the aesthetics and oversized footprint for the comfort and warmth. That said, the usage profile is pretty vertical - wouldn't like to clean mud off them....

964ST

Clanker
I bought a pair of Zamberlan boots in the 80`s I am positive that they were made from “Fanny Skin” cause you could do what you wanted to them no matter!! How rough! They held up. I still have them today! (Crusty but useable in an emergency!)

TamH70

MIA
Ex infantry here also...got a little PT Postie job on the go now and need similar advice.

Need an all weather ankle boot which will take plenty of miles at a tabbing pace (ish).

Would also wear for hiking etc on days off.

My current (issue) Lowa dessies are giving up the ghost and the Royal Mail issue choice is not my cup of char...

Help me chaps...your Crimbo cards depend on it!!

Hmm. I like Magnum boots - my Cougars are the dog's. A waterproof version of those, or probably even better the all-leather ones, would suit you I think, as I find them pretty good for walking around town for a lot of miles - but my part-fabric ones wouldn't be my first or second choice for any hiking in rough ground as they leak.

This pair looks promising:

The sole pattern is a bit more aggressive than mine but they're around the same sort of profile size-wise.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
Hmm. I like Magnum boots - my Cougars are the dog's. A waterproof version of those, or probably even better the all-leather ones, would suit you I think, as I find them pretty good for walking around town for a lot of miles - but my part-fabric ones wouldn't be my first or second choice for any hiking in rough ground as they leak.

This pair looks promising:

The sole pattern is a bit more aggressive than mine but they're around the same sort of profile size-wise.
My only worry is the quality- my original issue Magnum dessies fell apart mate

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
My only worry is the quality- my original issue Magnum dessies fell apart mate
I'm still wearing some Magnum dessies from 2007 - and yes, they've been to several sandy places not just 'house boots'. I've also got a pair of Magnum safety boots that have lasted three years so far with working week use - they're a lot better than they used to be, ankle support can still be an issue though, particularly with the desert boots

Latest Threads