Kit advice

Hey all need some pukka gen advice on kit.

I was an Infantryman for 15 years, left army in 2014.
During my time I was squared away and knew about best kit for in the field.

However I’m humble enough to know things have moved on and I’m not in the know so much now.

Please can someone give me feedback/advice on Boots!

I need a pair of boots that are sturdy and good for urban wear/work.
Must literally feel like trainers on my feet.

I dont need anything for Brecon conditions.

I used to rate GSG-9 for this purpose but recently seen bad reviews. Are there any similar types/quality that suit my needs?

What boots are light, sturdy and feel like you can run a be effort PFA in?

Genuine use/purpose - Not looking to be a Walter!
Thanks for helpful responses in advance

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
What do you want them for? Gen question as otherwise, it's a bit of a how long's a piece of string question.

However I’m humble enough to know things have moved on and I’m not in the know so much now.

I used to rate GSG-9 for this purpose but recently seen bad reviews. Are there any similar types/quality that suit my needs?

I also used to rate Bates boots for tabs as they were like trainers-don’t know if the newer ones are any good now?!

Altbergs have a range of boots

Bates were modelled by frank castle in the recent punisher tv homage

Trekitt have a aku selvetica? Boot in tan or black for those colour coordinated

If it's pukka gen advice you're after, you don't need the Intelligence Cell.

With regard to GSG-9s they did cheapen the design and the newer ones (after 2014) look awful and cheap. I only tabbed in them once the tread had flattened, wouldn't have used them for CFT when new. Comfortable as **** for day-to-day use. Nowadays, if your feet were comfortable in them, the issue black boots were fantastic over all tyoes of terrain I used to walk over (forests, Old railway lines, tarmac, etc).

I recently bought a pair of Jack Wolfskin Texapore boots very impressed with them, light and good ankle support only had them a few weeks but all good so far

Last edited:

The_Poltroon

Clanker
AKU Pilgrims.

Bit stiff around the tops initially but once broken in are lovely.

Look like hiking boots, Goretex lined etc

Shit insoles however.

I recently bought a pair of Jack Wolfskin Texapore boots very impressed with them, light and good ankle support only had them a few weeks but all good so far
Do they have the kind of light trainer like feel?
I ask because I had some boots that were hard underfoot or heavy... which was great for the purposes at the time... but don’t need anything designed for arduous conditions anymore and really want lightweight feel to them with ankle support as you as mentioned above.

Altberg sneakers are modelled on a trainer last and are extremely light and good for running/fast tabs.

Aku pilgrims (bought not issued) are a good day to day work boot but I wouldn’t want to run in them.

All the cool kids are in approach shoes this days anyhow.

I ask because I had some boots that were hard underfoot or heavy... which was great for the purposes at the time... but don’t need anything designed for arduous conditions anymore and really want lightweight feel to them with ankle support as you as mentioned above.
Try Haix Black Eagle.

Aye they have the lightweight feel about them and are getting comfier by the day

Had no issues with the Bates Patrol boots, lightweight and the leather is as flexible as any trainer once broken in around the forefoot. Then again, I'd refuse to buy my own boots so just stick with what is issued. If your going to be buying them yourself you might be able to do better.

Edit: trainer, not sneaker, too much yank tv

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer

When I was looking around for waterproof ankle boots for winter wear and trips to snowy climes, I tried on these in the shop (Go Outdoors) the Tibai and X Ultra from the Salomon range

They were lightweight and felt very comfy just like trainers.

I didn’t get them in the end, not because I didn’t like them, but on grounds of cost and the amount of time i’d be using them. I went for a cheaper but still good enough for me Berghaus boot. Still wearing them and given the number of years i’ve Had them were a good buy. But part of me wishes I got the Salomons, since after all these years the extra £40 would not have mattered.

As has been oft said, feet shapes vary and each brand suit different feet.

There’s loads of ‘trainer’ type boots so you may be better going to a good boot shop, get some advice and try on what they suggest meet your needs.

TamH70

MIA
Altberg sneakers are modelled on a trainer last and are extremely light and good for running/fast tabs.

Aku pilgrims (bought not issued) are a good day to day work boot but I wouldn’t want to run in them.

All the cool kids are in approach shoes this days anyhow.
Bugger these days. I had a lovely pair of Nike ACG Air Mada shoes twenty-odd years ago that I used to batter through the Lairigh Ghru up in the Cairngorms.

Had no issues with the Bates Patrol boots, lightweight and the leather is as flexible as any trainer once broken in around the forefoot. Then again, I'd refuse to buy my own boots so just stick with what is issued. If your going to be buying them yourself you might be able to do better.

Edit: trainer, not sneaker, too much yank tv
Sneeker is the brand name:

In_Twists

Old-Salt
I also used to rate Bates boots for tabs as they were like trainers-don’t know if the newer ones are any good now?!
Not by me. Had Bates dessies. Sole fell off after one exercise (6 months cutting round camp maybe). Shit.
Jungle boots now. Aku as a standby.

Latest Threads