Kit 4 Troops

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by SigDev_Duck, Aug 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (I tried searching for existing posts on this new charity but didn't find any)

This charity was launched yesterday - see its website for further details - About Us - Kit 4 Troops

While this does seem to have some benefit, I would urge caution for anyone thinking of registering and remind you to think of PERSEC/OPSEC issues. You should get what I mean if you check out the Troops and Supporters pages on the website...

2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

It is not a charity, but a limited company and could be seen as a means of selling kit. I don't object to a business that revolves around freebees for troops, but they should be open about their charitable status, or lack of.

One of the mods has been approached by Kit4Troops and the jury is out. My gut reaction is that I would prefer that people gave their money to one of the established service charities or of course Holidays 4 Heroes.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

4. Interesting that they call themselves a charity, then...

Does that constitute fraudulent behaviour?

5. msr

msr LE

6. msr

msr LE

CC21 - Registering as a Charity

7. RGL Forensics | News / Events | Inaam Tahir wins

8. I've emailed them asking them to clarify their status on the website - If they are pukka, they should have no problem explaining that they are in the process of applying for charitable status, but for now it looks like a well meaning idea poorly thought out, both in terms of legalities and security issues. As folk have said - channel help thro existing organisations, tho I take the point that most of those aren't focused on the serving soldier on an operational tour.

9. msr

msr LE

I would also query whether there is a need to spend hundreds of dollars on kit too...

10. So would I. The kit you are given currently is more than up to the job. It's a case of "want" more than "need" these days.

To be honest if I had come across that site without seeing it here first then I would have thought it looked dodgy as hell. That surely cannot have any kind of MOD approval the way they go splashing serving personnel's details about like that.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

So does their terms & conditions:
    Terms & Conditions

I've also had a quick look at who they are. McGregor seems have been a Capt in a Regt of 101 Airborne Div.
    One of their partners is based in the USA, seems a very US slant to it all.