Kisses from Nimbus - Peter Riley

Taniwha

Old-Salt
Pete F was 8 Flight Commander at Hereford in the late 70s early 80s, and was the team pilot during the Iranian Embassy siege. He then went south in 82 and was involved in a part of Operation Plum Duff that has not really been much disclosed until now. Using a Huey provided by the Chileans he flew probing flights around Rio Grande to check their air defence readiness, in preparation for Op Mikado.

After his tour with 8 Flight, Pete elected to do selection, passed, and was badged straight into CRW wing. There he was posted to "the best job in the army" as an undercover British Airways Senior First Officer, to be used in case of any airline hijacks which were very fashionable at the time. He was given familiarisation training on all BA types so that if any of them were hijacked, he could credibly pose as "relief crew" and slipped onto a hijacked aircraft on the ground.

After his 22 years were up, he was recruited to be the rotary wing UKN pilot in SIS. There he was trained in up to work as a fully undercover and deniable civil pilot, flying a multitude of types, primarily in support of SIS infil and exfil operations.

This story might sound like it should be in Waltenkommando, but it is entirely authentic. Don't be put off that Pete wrote it all himself without ghost-writer - it is disarmingly well written, with lots of little twists and surprises, and with impressive attention to detail.

I got a kindle copy from Amazon. I've met Pete but don't know him well, he was known as a "good guy" in the Corps. Here's an idea of his sense of humour from the book

"A walk across the country is referred to as a ‘tab’ in the Army, a ‘yomp’ in the Royal Marines and, I’m not sure, but possibly, a ‘sashay’ in the Royal Airforce"

Pete F was 8 Flight Commander at Hereford in the late 70s early 80s, and was the team pilot during the Iranian Embassy siege. He then went south in 82 and was involved in a part of Operation Plum Duff that has not really been much disclosed until now. Using a Huey provided by the Chileans he flew probing flights around Rio Grande to check their air defence readiness, in preparation for Op Mikado.

After his tour with 8 Flight, Pete elected to do selection, passed, and was badged straight into CRW wing. There he was posted to "the best job in the army" as an undercover British Airways Senior First Officer, to be used in case of any airline hijacks which were very fashionable at the time. He was given familiarisation training on all BA types so that if any of them were hijacked, he could credibly pose as "relief crew" and slipped onto a hijacked aircraft on the ground.

After his 22 years were up, he was recruited to be the rotary wing UKN pilot in SIS. There he was trained in up to work as a fully undercover and deniable civil pilot, flying a multitude of types, primarily in support of SIS infil and exfil operations.

This story might sound like it should be in Waltenkommando, but it is entirely authentic. Don't be put off that Pete wrote it all himself without ghost-writer - it is disarmingly well written, with lots of little twists and surprises, and with impressive attention to detail.
I like the chapter where he was asked by the US to assist them in lieu of the TWA hijack, because of his airline cover and subsequent CPL-ATPL. He also knew the then Delta Force CO as he had worked with him a few years earlier.

Fantastic book ...I take it he was spared jail for mercy killing of his dying brother.

cheers

Latest Threads