Kintyre Chinook Pilots may yet be cleared

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stonker, Jan 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't see this anywhere else on arrse and - having 2 mates among the 2 dozen soldiers who went in - I thought that wasn't right.

With a bit of luck, the 2 up-themselves Air-Marshals who declared (without ever explaining proper reasons for doing so) that the pilots were at fault - will now be made officially to look like tw*ts.

Edited to add:

In Memoriam, Johnny Barr, Tony Hornby et al.
  2. Whatever our differences Stonks, i agree with the sentiments You voice. This was a disgrace of the highest order, even in an environment that blames pilots far too quickly anyway.
  3. Interestingly Stonks, I understand that the President of the original BoI who had his findings overturned is now AOC 2Gp. You know me, I rarely sing the praises of senior officers, but I suspect he may have had a hand in this.

At least I hope so, respect where it is due. I also hope that one particular AVM is called to account, even if he is retired.

Fingers crossed.
  4. If there is no justice, the fabric of discipline and morale are undermined.

I dunno if the 'overturning' decision marked the absolute beginning of the rot many of us have detected inside the MoD, or was simply an early indicator of it.

Perhaps we might be looking out for indications now of an upturn in collective integrity in the near future.[hr]Stonkernote Forgive me, but the name, Stonker - bestowed on me decades ago, by my soldiers, and never truncated by them - has an 'er', not an 's' at the end.

Only that tw*t Sphen is too idle to type 2 letters instead of one. :wink:
  5. A bad Business.
    Disgraceful to blame the dead in the manner in which it was done.
    To much high level politics.
    I was on duty at Bellykelly the night it happened. I was ordered to prepare all our nightsun equipped cabs for deployment that night, if the order came though to support.
  6. At the time of the accident Chinooks were falling out of the sky every week. Misassembled gearboxes I heard. I saw one crash in the Falklands during take off after a gearbox was fitted. A couple of blokes were injured.
    Of course if we blame the dead pilots we avoid any unpleasantness with the wealthy manufacturers. Tail wags dog, its the British way!
  7. Agreed. I have mentioned this on arrse before and was trashed as usual. The treatment of the pilots was a disgrace designed to protect the manufacturers.
  8. Any particular reason why the BBC (apart from being pisspoor) has chosen to drop the ranks of the two dead pilots?
  9. I always thought that the "Crash" was a present from the British Secret Services to Gerry and Martin, taking the heat off them so the "Peace Talks" could continue.
  10. I really do hope that they are cleared. The evidence that they were negligent just doesn't stack up. I also hope that the Air Marshalls are called to make a public apology and address their own cowardice.
  11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

A terrible tragedy and to blame the pilots in the way they did was insulting. It's about time somebody grew a pair and righted this wrong.

Theres a sad story I remember from the incident. I was stationed at Portadown where one of the int guys who was killed was also posted. My wife worked in the NAAFI on camp. I think it was a day after the crash, she came home and told me that a young boy of about 5 or 6 came into the shop asking for a box of chocolates so she helped him find some. He handed her some small change from his piggy bank which wasn't enough, then said 'it's to cheer my mummy up as she is sad because my daddy died'. Even now writing it it really chokes me up. Needless to say the young lad got his chocolates. I hope life has treated him well since then, he'll be around 19 now.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You would think, so wouldn't you, but my money, being the old cynic that I am, is on teflon Swiss Des weaseling his way out of doing what is right somehow, if only to say cash from future civil claim against MOD!
  13. The same thing with the Yanks.An F16? pilots widow fought to clear her husbands name,then the can of worms opened up that the Government had signed a contract that all accidents would be down to the users and not the manufacturers,apparently they lost over 100 pilots due to ´accidents´that were mostly design/engineering faults!

I´ll look for a link!

Hope they clear the pilots names,it stank of a stitch-up from start to finish.
  14. Really?

I'd be surprised if anyone on ARRSE would trash a thread / post defending servicemen, particularly those that died on duty.
  15. You might be surprised. I could not possibly comment. Plenty of folk on arrse represent (informally) all sorts of interests. If the pilots are cleared it will then reopen the very interesting question as to what did cause the crash in fact. It might seem unwise to be flying at full speed at low level in fog into rising ground. But if the nav sys was out the pilots wouldn't have known that. One of the pilots told his father (Ex RAF Concorde Captain) that the entire avionics systems were unsafe and unreliable just a few days before he died. And that - he said - was the considered and professional opinion of the (SF support qualified) pilots on his squadron.