Kingsmill massacre report

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gizmo17, Jun 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The report from the HET team has been leaked ahead of it's official delivery date it confirms as we all knew that PIRA carried out the massacre.

Relatives of the victims have called for a public Enquirey Chances of that happening?

UTV News - Kingsmills families want public inquiry
  2. Of course the IRA did it, murdering scumbags and liars to boot.

Re Inquiry, if the relatives make enough noise then they may get one.
  3. What's the point? It was 35 years ago. It's been proven that PIRA carried out the attack, so what will it achieve (apart from a waste of time, money, and man hours).

Some people need to learn to move on.
  4. How dare they demand an investigation into a mass murder? Don't they know we're all friends now?
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

At which point in time is it OK to let multiple murderers off? You are OK with 35 years it seems, how about 20 years or 10 years?

The point is it may lead to the public identification and convictions for a particularly vile group of murderers, possibly also to information and resolution of other unsolved crimes.
  6. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

People are still hunting Nazis - it's down to not-a-lot now, granted, but should they be let off? Or is it a difference in scale? Kill 100 civilians in Italy in 1945, it's a lifetime of hunting down, kill a half-dozen in Ulster, it's a 20-years then forget?

They are murdering scum, and must face the consequences of their actions.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. I agree with you entirely, but what are the chances of finding the gunmen in question?
  8. Everyone knows that the only people allowed to have public enquiries into the deaths of family members are those from the Republican/Nationalist community. After all they rejoice in playing the role of 'victim', whilst the families of Catholics and Protestants murdered by PIRA get nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Nice U-turn, you would do well in politics.

The answer is a big fat zero chance if you do not even try........and I would imagine there is quite a bit of known information on file.
  10. Hmmm. I'd be interested to know your view of British soldiers who carried out murders during this period, such as Bloody Sunday?

Also, don't miss the line that says "It found earlier loyalist attacks on other families were the catalyst for the premeditated and calculated slaughter."

Now, I believe what these people did was murder and they should be tried and sent to prison for it. But let us remember that there are many people on all sides who are equally as guilty as each other. The only way to move on is to try and move past these events, rightly or wrongly.
  11. What? are WE still hunting Nazis, I think not, you
    know who is though, The Red Sea Pedestrians.
  12. That's not a U-turn. I still think it's a waste of time.

Surely if there were evidence of "who dunnit" then they would have caught the people involved long before now?
  13. Why on Earth would you want a 'public enquiry' into the actions of individuals not connected to the public sector (i.e. police, Army etc.)? Surely the HET's 108 pages are detailed enough? And that is what the HET is for!!

And when we do have large public enquries, it costs millions, takes years and is still not accepted by people.
  14. It was a vile act of murder.
    But left the equally vile prod murderers with no option but to call a halt to their murder spree. the plan to slaughter a school full of kids was vetoed which was the plan to retaliate
    Considering the people who did the shooting on bloody sunday are unlikely to see court.
    An amnesty and a truth commission could be a way forward but no one on any side wants the truth coming out.
  15. You mean they'll be in the next Stormont Cabinet?