Kings Troop RHA

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Kings Troop, Oct 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am new to the forum and thinking about joining the army when im 18, im 16 currently.

My first choice would be kings troop rha but the army website gives little detail about the regiment.

Firstly, do you have to be a horse rider before hand or can novices join aswell. Also how hard is the selection process for the kings troop rha. As i have always wanted to join the kings troop rha for the last 3 years i just want to know if i have a chance or not.

My other choices are household cavalry and either queens royal hussars or 9th/12th lancers.

Dan :)
  2. Use the search function
  3. If you show aptitude for something, then the army will train you to do it if you can convince them you're the right man for the job.
  4. Re Horsies - They will Train you. Re Joining them, just pass your exams and get as fit as you can and you're in with a good chance. Once you're accepted only you can fail, the Army doesn't like wasting money and if it picks you then it believes you can do it. However if you yourself don't believe and work at that then you'll fail.

5. Thanks for help :)

I will always put my most into it :)
  6. KT is very different to QRL or 9/12L.

KT is a ceremonial unit, that provides soldiers for other tasks within the RA from time to time, but the main reason they are there is to conduct the Ceremonial stuff.

Think long and hard about what you want out of the Army - if it's Army stuff, then the King's Troop may not contain enough of that for you. If it's ceremonial stuff, that happen to be military, then the other 2 won't contain that.

If you express interest, you are put down to be a Mounted Gunner (I think it's still called that) and you head there after Phase 2. Pretty sure it's still a volunteer unit, so you ask to go, they can't stop you. You may get a bit more from the Gunner forum.