Kings shilling

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by pennanboy, Jan 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. King's shilling
    for many years a soldier's daily pay, before stoppages - was the shilling given to recruits of the British army and the Royal Navy of the 18th and 19th centuries. The expression "to take the King's shilling" meant that a man agreed to serve as a soldier or sailor.

It'sa just an old tradition that they still do, you get mair than a fcuking shilling lol. I got aboot a hundred quid I think They're into all things traditional in the army ya know.

do u still get it after your oath? my friend says she did! but she joined over 15 yr ago???

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Not given to the RN. Pressed men who (afterwards) volunteered were given a bounty though.

3. i am joining the army will i get it?simple as pie question!

4. In 1988 a crisp, shiny fiver was pressed into my eager young hands after taking the oath. It was used the same day to get the 16 y.o me half cut. Bear in mind that it bought about six pints in them days!

5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Since sterling is no longer legal tender, then shillings do not exist. It equates to a five pence piece now, and I believe that you probably get more than that as a days wage, even under this feckless excuse for a government.

6. I got a shiny new 5p, I bought a new car had a night out a curry and still had 2 jam jars change that was a while ago.

7. your equivalant of the queens/kings shilling is what you get on the day you say your swear the oath at the recruiting office (this is also the day that your service starts for pension and resettlement purposes, all of my docs including my cert of service and cert of discharge state my date of enlistment as 15 Aug 84).

When I swore my oath on 15 Aug 84 I received £5 (on my first pay statement I was in debt by £5), I actually tipped up for day one on 4 Sep 84.

8. Oh how times change Foggy.

After demob in '65 straight from Aden, I decided to go to sea for a while in order to brush up on my study. I was lucky enough to get a job with Shaw Savill Line on the SS Athenic, then in King George the Fifth Dock.
    The Shore superintendent asked me whether I would like an advance of ten shillings. I nearly bit his hand off.
    That was sufficient for an evening ashore prior to sailing for Australia, and enabled me to shout a shipmate to a few pints in the Roundhouse and a good feed of fish and chips each.

We did tentatively eye up a couple of the local lasses but we could not quite stretch to that.

The work aboard ship was quite physical in those days, so heads down and bums up till Kaapstadt or Cape Town. Then into it.

Those were the days mate , when a quid was a quid. :wink:

9. I do not remember being given anything when I took the oath in 1979

10. My eldest brother took his in 1980 and my other brother took his in 1982 and they both got a fiver too! maybe the recruiter pocketed yours 8O

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

six pints of tizer, the fiver I got in 81 wouldnt get you five pints then!

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I got £1 10 shillings when I signed on in December 1961. It was a fortune then.

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

In 89 I got a tenner, came off the next pay day.

14. right so the chance are i will get someting between 5p nd £5 quid lol brilliant! cheers guys if anyone else knows from joining more recently i would love to know!
    i have my oath on monday and am skinto!