kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by threesend, Apr 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My fellow ARRSERS...

my grandfather served with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps during WW2. All i know is that he escaped Dunkirk and fought against the Japs and was captured and ended the war as a POW. He was also battalion middleweight champion boxer - nicknamed "spider".

What id like to find out is what battalions fought at dunkirk and then moved onto the far east...

i have no other info about him

any help greatly appreciated.

2. RP578 may know about this. I know that the Bucks Battalion (sort of a KRRC cast-off) fought at Dunkirk.

3. F Company 7 Rifles are descendants of the KRRC. I think they still have a good deal of historic records, Journals etc. Some of the old boys that fought at Calais used to get totally bladdered at the TA centre each november, great bunch, now sadly gone.

F Company are very near Bond Street tube station, give them a call on 0207 629 3674.

BB

4. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The 2nd Bn, KRRC was pretty much wiped out at the defence of Calais, and one of their Territorial Bns, The Queen Victoria's Rifles didn't fare much better. Along with the 1st Bn, The Rifle Brigade, they were a part of the Green Jacket Bde that fought in France in 1940.

Not sure about any KRRC units in the East, pretty sure all Green Jacket battalions ended up in North Africa, Italy and NW Europe. Maybe he was rebadged after Dunkirk? By the way, if he was a part of 2Bn, KRRC, he was a lucky man to have got out of Calais in 1940. Not many did.

h, the Bucks Bn did fight in France in 1940. Famously delaying the Germans at Hazebrouck before trying to get back to Dunkirk (only about 200 odd made it). They were part of the Oxf & Bucks LI though and not KRRC.

Edited to add: The F Coy, & Rifles that B_B mentions above is a descendent of the QVR which had two battalions during WW2, ostensibly 1 & 2 QVR, but became officially listed as 7th & 8th Bns, KRRC for the duration of the War.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KRRC battalions only went as far as the middle east - your Grandad might have been transferred to another unit or maybe went Commando - they had a few units in the far east (1 & 5 Army Commandos - 3 Cdo Bde). I doubt if he went Para as the only unit that saw action wasa Gurkha para bn.

7. also Greece and Crete - 9th Bn KRRC (The Rangers)

8. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Further to that G Coy, 7 RIFLES is descendent of The Rangers, who in WWII were officially listed as 9th & 10th Bns, KRRC.

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

And of course to round it all off, you had 11th & 12th Bns, KRRC (Queen's Westminsters) whose descendents live on at Davies St.

10. I'm also fairly certain that none went into action against the Japanese.

I recall, many years ago, talking to a (then) long serving KRRC WO who spoke of his war-time service in India with his battalion.

One possibility is that they were originally sent to reinforce the India garrison troops before being sent on to North Africa.

I don't know which division/s they were part of in North Africa but that might hold a clue.

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

One thing that might jive with that was that between the wars 1 KRRC were stationed in India between 1922-34 and then in Burma from 1934-38. They were shipped to Egypt in 1938 where they were when war broke out.
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDUQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.krrcassociation.com%2Fhistory%2Fbattalion_locations_1755-1965.pdf&ei=EoqfT-nNIcen8QOy9MDBAQ&usg=AFQjCNFuog5_WWTlNa1iERe9JDJEMbNYIg

This doesn't help much with OP's question, but the list in link above places every KRRC unit in Europe and N.Africa.

12. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

As an ex Rifle Brigade man I can't offer much help, other than that which has been given already, however I would suggest that you contact the RGJ archivist, Major Ron Cassidy via the Regimental Website, or the museum at Winchester.
    Or contact someone on this site.http://www.rgjassociation.info/ and they will be very helpful.

13. Is it possible that he was seconded to another formation? I know of two KRRC men who served with 81st (West African) Division in Burma, as well as another in 11th East African Division. These men often retained their original cap-badge.

14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Don't wish to divert the thread but I have this compass at home (says 2Lt JC Mackenzie, 12th/60th, and 12th KRRC. Compass dated 1917 and case 1916):

Picture 006.jpg