King's/Queen's Regulations

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Kalle_M, Feb 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If this is in the wrong place, could the Mods be so kind as to transfer it to a more fitting forum please?

The reason for posting this is that I was recently trawling through some old (not to say ancient) stuff, having been given the ultimatum by my lovely wife as to what to throw away and what to keep (but she's Italian, so what would she know), and I (re)discovered an original copy of Army Regulations that was given to me by our parish priest in 1965. He himself joined the British Army (like thousands of his fellow Irishmen) in 1939 at the outbreak of "The Emergency" because he was convinced that Catholic padres were sorely underrepresented and he wanted to do his bit to remedy that. The full title of the two volumes he gave me is: "The King's Regulations and Admiralty Instructions for the Government of His Majesty's Naval Service". It makes quite fascinating reading and was published in London in 1939 by HM Stationery Office.

In the past few weeks, I've tried various sources in an attempt to get a hold of a more recent edition of the (in the meantime) "Queen's Regs", but none of the publications I've unearthed bear the slightest resemblance to the two ominous red volumes I remember when I was serving. What I want to do is to (on a purely privately curious basis) make a comparison of them, i.e what was considered important regs-wise then and what's considered important now. But it appears that I could be flogging a dead horse.

So my question is: does anybody have an idea how it might be possible to obtain a copy of the latest "Queen's Regs" from anywhere or are they somehow restricted?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

MsG

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It's available from HMSO and can be purchased online at the TSO site:
    Navy - The Queens regulations for the Royal Navy
    Army - Queen's regulations for the Army 1975.
    RAF - The Queens regulations for the Royal Air Force: Amendment list no. 28 5th ed., 1999

If historical comparison is your thing, you might want to look at the 1844 Army version forwarded by Wellington, available online here: The Queen's regulations and orders for the Army - Great Britain. War Office - Google Books

One to compare with your priest's book is another 19th Century Regs, this time the Naval version: The Queen's regulations for the Royal Navy: Revised ... - Great Britain. Admiralty - Google Books

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

QRRN is on the web.

4. Thanks indeed for taking the trouble to reply, RP578. It seems that your first two links elicit the information that the publications are not available. However, the other two links are totally fascinating and I've downloaded them for later examination. Many thanks again for your help, "mo chara", which is the Irish origin of "mucker" and means "my friend".

MsG