Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dmanton300, Sep 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings all, I think this is the right place.
    I'm a Police Constable with Dorset Police. Today I attended at the sudden death of an old gentleman. Whilst dealing I became aware of a lot of memorabilia and pictures of his service at the end of world war 2 with the KOYLI, and on talking to his son he confirmed the gentleman's service. What was clear was the pride the gent had in his time with the KOYLI.

Do any organisations exist for the veterans of KOYLI that I might contact about this gent for the purposes of information or maybe even a wreath or card etc. for his funeral? Seems the least I can do really as a mark of respect for what he did. Any info would be gratefully received via pm.

Thanks in advance
    PC2126 Manton
    Dorset Police.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

PM sent!
  3. msr

msr LE

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The request has been posted on the KOYLI website by an ex 2 LI lad I know!
  5. It's a bit sad that a Regiment that has such a varied and distinguished history as The KOYLI has so little displayed memorabilia. I visited Doncaster Museum a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to find that a relatively small gallery contains the sum total of the displayed history of the regiment.

My father was in 2KOYLI in India 1945-47, after which he was demobbed. Until I gave him the collected works of the internet, he was convinced that The KOYLI disbanded at about that time.

The KOYLI doesn't have a regimental museum of the type that we tend to expect, therefore I would doubt that the museum staff would be the best people to contact in this instance (though this would be the focal point for any memorabilia to be donated).

Probably better to drop a line to The KOYLI guestbook kindly hosted by SCLI.

If the old gentleman served in India during the time that my father was there, would you be kind enough to PM me with his name. I'll pass it onto my Dad - he may be an old mate.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

7. Bless you, sir, bless you indeed. This chappie was obviously proud of his service with the KOYLI and it was indeed fortunate that you attended and not some gozznob who has no time for the Armed Forces.

As a Medic I was more than once attached/seconded to the KOYLI and a more totally deviant set of geezers you wouldn't wish to meet.

Give the very gallant and most sadly departed gent my very best regards at his planting.

8. Well done mate.
  9. Just to bring you up to date. . . . contact was made with various people who could help, and after approaching the son of the deceased he was happy for me to pass details on. A Major Deedes of the KOYLI will be arranging for flowers and a message to be sent to the funeral home prior to the funeral, and at some point I will be hopefully obtain a short history/biography of the gentleman in question and hopefully a picture of him in uniform. I'll be happy to post what I get here if anyone's interested? But I can tell you he was a veteran of the Anzio beach-head.
    Thanks for the help and the kind words, it's a small thing but I felt it important, I just wish I could do it more often.
    Best regards
    PC2126 Manton
    Dorset Police
    Bridport Section
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Major Deedes was my Bn 2 i/c or its his brother! Quality blerks the whole family. Glad to be of service!
  11. God bless you. You go some way to restoring faith in human nature. BLOODY WELL DONE!