Kings Own Royal Border Regiment

Hello everyone, I hope you don’t mind a non veteran posting on here. Ok was all set to join the army and head for my basic training but I got my then girlfriend at the time pregnant and that was that really.

Obviously I could still have gone later and maybe taken the family with me but for various reasons it never happened.

while I never served, military history and in particular Northern Ireland is a big interest and passion of mine, normal stuff of reading a lot of books, finding things on you tube etc. This has probably taken the place of actually serving.

I grew up in Carlisle and a lad from my estate John Bateman joined the KOBR. I remember drinking in my local pub and talking to John about his life in the army and asking him so many questions, I must have got on his nerves.

I remember my dad telling me about his passing as he worked with his dad and it also happened on my dads birthday, 15th of March.

John was killed in Crossmaglen while out on patrol, i just wondered if any guys on here were on that tour around 1980. I’ve read a couple of things in Ken Wharton’s book about what happened before and after.

I’m not asking from a macabre point of view, more from an overview of that tour and what life was like in crossmaglen etc.

Hope any relevant guys don't mind me asking and thank you in advance.

Although earlier than your interest, 1 KORB were province reserve in the Londonderry area in the early '70s and covered for batallions that were either changing over or going on block leave. They covered for us when we took over from the Anglians in 1972. They came across as a first class outfit and had not lost anybody until early '73 when they were covering for us and lost a Sergeant (Colour Sergeant?) in Strabane. Funnily enough, I was posted to my upgrading course then went to Minden and the KORBs turned up from Ulster in mid '74 posted in.

JAD

LE
1 KORBR are in Colchester late '80's and had converted to Saxon. They were right next door to the RGJ if I recall. Needless to say the scraps between very stubborn and proud Cumbrians and less than subtle Cockneys were interesting down the Wagon on a weekend to say the least. However, they joined forces shoulder to shoulder when the RA turned up for a ruck. Nobody liked the planks in Colly for some reason.

1 KORBR are in Colchester late '80's and had converted to Saxon. They were right next door to the RGJ if I recall. Needless to say the scraps between very stubborn and proud Cumbrians and less than subtle Cockneys were interesting down the Wagon on a weekend to say the least. However, they joined forces shoulder to shoulder when the RA turned up for a ruck. Nobody liked the planks in Colly for some reason.
It was when they were in Catterick 83-85 they converted to Saxon, in fact they were one of the first Units to get it. I know as my stepfather was I KORB in Somme Barracks at time. They went to Colchester after their tour of NI at Palace Barracks.....just loved running past the Catholic school to the Protestant one in Hollywood each morning!!!

It was when they were in Catterick 83-85 they converted to Saxon, in fact they were one of the first Units to get it. I know as my stepfather was I KORB in Somme Barracks at time. They went to Colchester after their tour of NI at Palace Barracks.....just loved running past the Catholic school to the Protestant one in Hollywood each morning!!!
CH, they were in Berlin in between Weeton and Catterick.

Latest Threads