"Kings" Corporal Fact or Fiction ?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by The_Klingon, Dec 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before the beer starts to flow and the legs get wobbly can any one shed light on the so called "Kings" Corporal who was supposedly unbreakable ?
    Is It Army myth or fact ?. I seem to remember a story in a comic, Victor I think which I read in the dim dark days of my youth.

2. I'm aware of a convention that a promotion awarded at a high level has to be revoked at that level. Regs .... err, I don't know.

If I'm right that would mean that someone would have to go cap in hand to HM and tell them that his Corporal has been a naughty boy.

3. It's a myth. From what I've heard it has it's origins in the early nineteenth century, where soldiers sometimes received the honourary rank of corporal for bravery in the field.

4. Myth seems too strong TT. check this out:-

So it seems likely that these appointments were made, at some time, under certain circumstances and I have also seen a photograph of a Victorian (as in from there, not from when!) nurse at Tobruk in 1941, who is identified as King's Corporal Grey.

5. It's interesting that most of the examples you quote are Australian.

Just a coincidence, or are/were 'King's Corporals' more of an antipodean thing?

6. My Grandad said my Great Grandfather might have been one but as he didn't really speak much about the war he couldn't confirm it.

7. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

There was something about this on a thread recently, with some rather good quotes, but I'm damned if I can find it now :(

8. Check out the Middlesex Yeomanry history. Seem to remember something in the Soldier mag in 2004 o4 5 about this. Their ranks had crown added or as a CSgt, and extra stripe

9. Piper Laidlaw VC. KOSB.,, "The Piper of Loos" was promoted to Corporal immediately after his award of the VC. Read a press report from that time, while researching the battle, stated:- "Laidlaw thus became King's Corporal...."
    Perhaps it wasn't a myth. Though another, more recent, KOSB VC, Big Bill Speakman gained and lost stripes with monotonous regularity for a while after his award!