Kingos, Kenya, 1950s

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My bezzy oppo is very talented with photoshop and he's currently toying with colourising old phots and stuff.

He's currently doing a picture of his grandfather and is looking for some help in getting the colours correct.

He could do with some help with the uniforms and equipment. Any ideas what colour this gear was? Is that 58 pattern webbing? What colour would the uniforms be? Bloke on the left looks like his shirt is darker than the rest. What colour were the tents? etc. etc.

Any help in identifying any of the gear and their associated colours in the phot would be very much appreciated.

It's the 1st King's Regiment in Kenya, 1950s.

Many thanks

Ravers

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Phot
image.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice. Cheers Sluggy.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Shirts and tent canvas would start off olive green but would fade quickly due to washing and the sun, so your darker green shirt is probably not an old sweat. There were also different manufacturers, so kit was not necessarily standard at issue, especially if the kit was issued in different depots.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He's currently working off this:

Laddy on the right looks as though he's wearing a recently issued Shirt KF, one of the fetching brown ones.

As an aside and with ref to '44 Pattern webbing, there is-scarily-people out there who collect such stuff. Google is your friend, complete with pix and in all shades of green.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
I have a pair of 1950 pattern trousers. At top right is part of KD bush hat. So that may give you a good idea of the shades worn.

Originallyposted by me on 1 July, 2011.

If he's handy with Photoshop he'll probably be proficient with a scanner.. I'm no expert but I think there's a 'restore' function on some that would clean that phot up close to its original values (remove the yellow cast and make the colours more natural).

There are books such as 'Khaki Drill and Jungle Green' which, although WW2, would give you a colour palette.

It's impossible to gauge original colour from b/w photos!

Get him to search www.WW2Talk.com forum for colourised photos done by a company called Pristine Image as examples to aim for (I think they're in Belper/Matlock Derbyshire somewhere.
There's an article worth reading here www.clubhyper.com/reference/bellmanwm_1.htm that's interesting re colourising from b/w.

1950 pattern jungle green. Chemically proofed to repel rain! **** know what with but I'm sure it's no longer on the eu's happy list! Tried to upload a pic but can't from phone.

If he's handy with Photoshop he'll probably be proficient with a scanner.. I'm no expert but I think there's a 'restore' function on some that would clean that phot up close to its original values (remove the yellow cast and make the colours more natural).

There are books such as 'Khaki Drill and Jungle Green' which, although WW2, would give you a colour palette.

It's impossible to gauge original colour from b/w photos!

Get him to search www.WW2Talk.com forum for colourised photos done by a company called Pristine Image as examples to aim for (I think they're in Belper/Matlock Derbyshire somewhere.
There's an article worth reading here www.clubhyper.com/reference/bellmanwm_1.htm that's interesting re colourising from b/w.
Ilkeston! Lovely place :-/

http://www.pristineimage.co.uk

Link appears to be fucked, or their site is so pristine it's totally White?

Last edited:

Latest Threads