kindle or kobo

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by sirbhp, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I saw a kobo reader in W H Smiths today for just under 50 quid . what is the difference between them and Kindles ? is it work buying the kob do you think , is supposed to be wi fi so i guess that means you can still get books off of Amazon if you want to ?
    cheers troops .
  2. I love my Kindle.
  3. Kindle great range of books and any dramas with it ie me sitting on mine amazon get it replaced ASAP. My mate went through 4 on an afghan trip amazon replaced them all only down fall it doesn't like the heat.
  4. Buy a cover for it, you silly. I've got PUTB and MofA on mine. I love it to bits. It's not a touch screen one, because I've got fat fingers. Hey ho.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I've got a kindle and I love it - I hardly use anything else on my commute anymore. however, ymmv.

the register have a rundown of ebook reader reviews here -

Search results for
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Do not laugh at him.

Or you will have me to deal with.

7. I love my kindle. Works fine, E-ink screen easy to read in sunlight, case is good accessory (unlike Sluggies mine is brown, not pink). There are lots of free books available for Kindle and Nook. Not sure about Kobo availability. It is great for trips as you can bring several books in one small package. I did not get the 3G as wifi is widespread and you only need connection for downloading.Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

many thanks troops looks like the kindles have it .
  9. The kindle is no good if you want to be able to use a UK library ebook service. I generally recommend the Kobo for better access to more formats, it is easier to shop around for deals.
  10. Kindle owner with brown leather case here. A good bit of kit IMO.
    Project Guttenburg downloads, classics/material thats copyright has lapsed, from Amazon could keep you reading for free for years.
    Some Public Libraries have an e-book catalogue nowadays. You loan the book often for free for a set period just like an old skool hard copy.
    A word of caution if you want to go this route for your getting material, make sure you buy an e-book compatible with your Libraries catalogue ie that it has e-pub or like systems to enable downloading. You may also need to download a patch to your device to enable downloading. See your local friendly Librarian for details.
  11. I've had my Kindle for 3 months now, and it's great.
    Like DavidBOC I got the wi-fi version for the same reasons.

The wife has ordered one for herself, which should arrive today.
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

you're a mactard. therefore all your opinions are rendered completely invalid.

you wouldnt be happy with a kindle unless it cost four figures, the books cost a tenner apiece and could only be read for half an hour on the anniversary of birthday.
  13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

two things I can recommend to all e-book users, of any stripe (even if it's just the reader on your smartphone.)

the Calibre e-book management software (a free download) and - both invaluable.
  14. I have a kindle its brilliant the battery lasts forever. Also have the official amazon leather case which is expensive but a nice touch.
  15. my mrs has a kobo and for the price it is very good. I have used a kindle in the past and didn't notice any real difference between the two. So i would say get the kobo and use the money you save for books although the kobo comes with 100 free books. Also if you want sites for free downloads pm me