Kindle for PC to Calibre - Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Tartan_Terrier, Apr 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I do not as yet have an ebook reader, but have downloaded a couple of Kindle books to read on my PC. Since doing this I have been told of the wonders of Calibre, and I would now like to transfer these books to this programme instead.

Does anyone know how to do this? I've tried but cannot find the files that I would like to convert.

Thanks in advance for any help
    T_T

2. Just place them into your 'Calibre Library' folder which will probably be in your 'My Documents' folder.

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

you can try a search for .mobi files or the other kindle formats if you don't know where the pc is storing the files but they are usually in my docs.

I quite like the kindle for pc reader so prefer to convert other formats to fit it.

4. T_T: Just in case you decide to buy an ereader. I bought a kindle and I'm very pleased with it but my council library now lends ebooks for every ereader but KINDLE. x.x

5. Grumblegrunt

how do they lend them out?

plenty of free kindle books if you aren't fussy what you read and even more in torrents. or you can convert the files.

have you asked the library if you can borrow a book for your laptop?

6. Yes, dead easy to download direct to PC from powys library catalogue by just putting in your library card number after downloading some new settings. Must be like iplayer technology because the book borrowed vanishes after 30 days. But as I said just not for Kindle and I work away from home so KINDLE is my friend! (and almost certainly my only one!)

7. msr

msr LE

8. Just play with Calibre - it is brilliant! You can 'acquire' an e-book in any format and Calibre will convert it to whatever format you want. Almost ANY book is available free, even brand new ones - Google is your friend. I also have a couple of DVDs from FleaBay with thousands of really good books on, for about 1.99 I think. I regularly download, then transfer between PC, Kindle and my Samsung tablet - and I'm a Luddite!

9. Many thanks for that S-B.

10. Grumblegrunt

if you convert the library file it should also strip out the drm removing the copyright.

11. Our county library does electronic downloading but they are in audio format. I just copy them for the OC Domestic, straight onto her MP3. They are supposed to time out after 21 days but so far, she has kept some on her MP3 for 3 months. Calibre is brilliant. There are conversion programs available for mobi and all formats, free off tinternet. There are THOUSANDS of books if you use the right search engines, not that I would ever consider doing anything illegal like that

12. I've a few thousand some direct kindle format, others converted through calibre- I won't say how many I actually paid for the Kindle paid for itself ages ago. ^^

13. Jeez I'm a techno-knob what's a drm and how do you do it without powys council sending the librarian heavy mob round with stout brooms?

14. drm = digital rights management. You can never "remove" copyright, you're always in the wrong if you rip off someone else's original work. Even if you work round their efforts at enforcing their rights - the drm bit that tries to stop you copying etc. You may get some conversion software, sometimes just changing the .pub suffix to .txt or whatever formats you like works. There are also print to file utilities that act like a printer driver but churn out pdfs etc rather than paper copies.

15. My Bold: Noted and thanks for the info.