Kindle E-Reader or Fire Tablets

Hello all

My Kindle E Reader has given up the ghost so i need to buy a new one. I have heard good stuff about the Amazon Fire Tablet which can also be used for the same purpose and is a bit cheaper than some of the Kindles. Does anyone have the Fire Tablet and use it for books?

TIA

I use a Fire as a reader.

Not as robust as one of the e-readers but a damn sight more versatile, only real drawback is that the battery won't last anywhere near the e-reader.

Get it a cover and you're good to go.

I use a Fire as a reader.

Not as robust as one of the e-readers but a damn sight more versatile, only real drawback is that the battery won't last anywhere near the e-reader.

Get it a cover and you're good to go.
Thank You. How long does the battery usually last? I only really use it when i to to the beach as books tend to melt at the spine!
Does it have an anti glare screen like the Kindle?

The_Snail

ADC
RIP
I've got a Kindle Fire and it's ace. I've got a trillion billion books on there and apps so that I can watch my stories (Corriedale etc.) and films on Amazon Prime. I wouldn't say it's a tablet because it's not as big as one, but it's bigger than my phone so I suppose it is.

I got a reconditioned one from Fleabay for £20, and it's brilliant. There's probably loads of other stuff it does but technology scares me.

Thank You. How long does the battery usually last? I only really use it when i to to the beach as books tend to melt at the spine!
Does it have an anti glare screen like the Kindle?
My battery lasts a day just as a reader with the illumination turned down and so long I don't watch video or play any games, my model's a couple of years old now but it does me fine. My model doesn't, it's the 7 inch one, got it from Tesco when they were on offer for £40.

I've got a Kindle Fire and it's ace. I've got a trillion billion books on there and apps so that I can watch my stories (Corriedale etc.) and films on Amazon Prime. I wouldn't say it's a tablet because it's not as big as one, but it's bigger than my phone so I suppose it is.

I got a reconditioned one from Fleabay for £20, and it's brilliant. There's probably loads of other stuff it does but technology scares me.
Thank you

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I recently found my Kindle e-reader during a clearout. Quick charge, good as new. I've also been using a fifth generation Fire 7 for a couple of years. The e-reader is far better for reading, the tablet is better at everything else. But its "Android" is a cut down Fire OS which limits compatibility with third party software, as does its shortage of built-in memory. But my tastes aren't extravagant and I get by.

Nipper uses a latest generation Fire 10. Downloads entire series of box sets and watches them in HD. I know what my Christmas present is and where it's hidden.

I can't speak for battery life on the 10. Modern power bricks may be a solution you might consider.

I was always a huge buyer of books but with living over here and it being so hot, books always melted. I am home at Christmas so will have a look online

My battery lasts a day just as a reader with the illumination turned down and so long I don't watch video or play any games, my model's a couple of years old now but it does me fine. My model doesn't, it's the 7 inch one, got it from Tesco when they were on offer for £40.
Thanks. I will only use it for books as i have a firestick/macbook/apple tv for telly etc

I recommend going with a dedicated e-reader if you just want to read. The screens are nicer for that purpose, plus you don't have things like the internet etc, competing for your attention (I know that's why I swapped from an iPad to a Kobo!).

Last edited:
Agree with most of the above - My kids both have a fire ( a couple of years old now.) The battery will last maybe 6 hours when they are hammering you tube on long car journeys. and the lack of memory is an issue - extra memory can be purchased. but they are quite good as a Tablet light option. (we like the ability to set parental controls and time limits, probably not going to help the OP though) also far cheaper than an ipad.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
I recommend going with a dedicated e-reader if you just want to read. The screens are nicer for that purpose, plus you don't have things like the internet etc, competing for your attention (I know that's why I swapped from an iPad to a Kobo!).
Agree if you're only going to use it for reading. I had a Fire and found the screen to be annoyingly reflective and often hard to read when outside. The Kindle screen doesn't reflect even in the brightest conditions.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
I find having the Kindle app on an iPad has the advantage if you are reading a book for instance a Bernie Gunther one by Philip Kerr, it's handy to look at the background of some of the characters. or a historical book, you can search for background as you are reading.

Poppy

LE
I have had a fire 7" for some years and it's brilliant - can read listen to music, check e-mails and facebook

SWMBO has a Fire, she's never off the thing, until the battery runs down, then she switches to her phone while it recharges. I've never used it but she seems happy enough with it, which for a techno-biff like her is saying something. Something went wrong with her original one and she got a replacement with £NN knocked off. When she'd set her new one up, all her books were there for her.

For some reason she wont set up her own email account on it, so all the emails re her purchases come to the joint email account on this laptop. She spends HOW MUCH on books and other stuff from t'internet? :mad::mad:

I find having the Kindle app on an iPad has the advantage if you are reading a book for instance a Bernie Gunther one by Philip Kerr, it's handy to look at the background of some of the characters. or a historical book, you can search for background as you are reading.
I think the newer Kindle readers have this feature automatically with x-ray too?

As a butter fingered klutz I found the screen on the fire more resilient than that on the regular kindle reader. That may have changed for the better with newer reader models. The battery life for the reader, as others have already said, can be measured in weeks, especially if you remember to turn your WiFi off.

spins

Old-Salt
I've got a 2nd Gen Fire 7" which I bought from CEX secondhand in 'A' condition, about 6 years ago. I use it everyday for ARRSE, reading, emails, Netflix etc etc. It;s never failed me. It's brilliant. You can pick one like it from CEX for about £35. No, I have no 'interest' in CEX, I've just found them to be a very good source of techy type stuff if you don't mind if it's not new. Lot of new stuff is just old stuff in a fancy wrapper and a new button that doesn't do very much.

As for battery life: Iv'e found that it's now quite rare to not have access to a power source, even if it's a portable one. PPPPPPP an' all that! And switch off Wi-Fi if you're not using it

Can't see me replacing my Kindle anytime soon. Get a cover for it: sound advice.
spins

edited to add a bit more about power.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If you’re just using it for reading and ebooks. Get a kindle, readable anywhere. Light and a really good battery life. If you get a recon spend six quid or so on an amazon basic cable. Great quality even the amazon apple flash cables are better than the o/e.

Latest Threads