Kindle books, iBooks, eBooks.

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Legs, Jan 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How come the cost of these electronic formats is so high, often the same price as the paperback version? There is no printing costs, nor binding, shipping, storage (apart from a bit of server space). It just feels like a bit of a con to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Maybe because it costs three fifths of fuckall to actually print a book in the quantities of a large print run?

Surely the majority of costs are in Authors advances, publishers margins and marketing? They don't change for an eBook.
  3. Part of reason for the pricing is based on research. Questionnaires asking how much you pay for a ebook etc. Quite a few dafties probably thought that £6.99 for an ebook was cheap enough.
  4. The amount of space it has saved in my house it is cheap.
  5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It's the cost of the magic. Expensive stuff is magic.
  6. Why even bother buying them at all?

There are plenty of sites where you can download them for free, including recent releases.
  7. There is? Do tell, please.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

ebooks are ridiculously priced mind you printed books aren't that much better, the money all goes to the publishers it seems. allthough there are a few authors who made millions writing and selling ebooks direct for 60p/1 dollar a pop..

mind you when they throw 400k at pippa middleton for writing crap along with all those other 'celebrity' doorstops its no wonder they have to screw the digireaders over.

I do get annoyed when you buy a book then find it has been converted from another format badly so you have page headers or numbers all over the place, or it has been scanned with terrible OCR so you have to play bletchley to make sense of it.

until they get fair I'll keep pirating I reckon, I'll never manage to read the 30gb I've got even after I've wittled out duplicates and put them in format order. I kinda liked the amazon library idea where you can borrow so many books a month but I'm not paying that price for it.