Kindle Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by plant_life, Oct 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The wife and I are looking at getting Kindles for each other for Christmas. Can somebody explain in laymans terms what the differences are between the Kindle Fire and a Kindle E-Reader? We aren't after anything too flashy, just something that has a decent capacity and can connect to Wi-Fi when out and about.

Cheers in advance.
  2. Jesus I bet Xmas is ******* rivetting in your gaff!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the kindle fire is a tablet aimed at someone who wants to use it for watching movies, tv, music etc rather than just reading e-books.

if you just want one for books buy the e-reader at £70. if you want something you can watch films and tv on, and has a colour screen, that opens another can of worms again as your choice with tablets is virtually boundless.
  4. Cheers Maguire.
  5. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

could be - with her reading 50 shades of grey and him reading 50 shades of green :)

Bin reading ebooks for years but only just trying out a kindle 3, takes some getting used to and its awkward without a backlit screen. the paper white is supposed to be good as it has a backlight and the fire is being touted as a half price non show off ipad.

the only drawback has been the types of book it can read but its relatively easy to convert epubs etc.. to mobi. and the volume of ebooks I have on various hard drives.

one benefit is unlike ipads they can be repaired but the user with basic diy skills - good job too as the screens are very fragile.
  6. I know ebooks are supposed to be replacing traditional books but you really aren't supposed to use them for swatting spiders or propping up table legs and the like!
    • Like Like x 3
  7. If you get a Kindle each, make sure you register them both under the same account. Call them plantlife1 and plantlife2 or something. That way, when you download a book or take out a newspaper/magazine subscription or whatever, both machines will receive it. You can always archive the stuff you don't particularly want.
  8. Are you sure about that?

• Like Like x 1
  9. If you travel a bit I suggest getting the kindle with 3G connection. Its about £150 new, but I got a refurbished one from Amazon for £115. The advantage is that it works almost everywhere, there is no additional running cost once bought, I can buy books whenever I want without having to bother with a wifi link, and I get my newspaper delivered to the Kindle at 0600Z everyday wherever I am. My wife bought the wifi only one, and wishes she had the 3G. They eat battery power on either 3G or wifi, so switch off the wireless link once downloaded.
  10. I was skeptical at first but its a great piece of kit, mines basic no backlight, has wifi $70 as I recall.

I use this to manage my library

calibre - E-book management
  11. I bought my Mrs a Kindle Touch which is wifi available. Beware though, It is larger than some Kindles so when you go to get a cover you need to make sure you get the right one. I bought a Kindle Cover with a light which was an outrageous £50, the one's without a light were £39.99 so, in my view a bit of a rip off considering the unit cost £109!

The Mem Sahib was always very sceptical about Kindle and I took a gamble getting her one for her birthday but she immediately loaded a few books that people in her office gave her and loves it now.

The account which you have to open is linked to a credit card and cannot be linked to a debit card which is a pain but everything else is fine.
  12. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

thats because you bought the 'official' cover. a decent no name one should be about a fiver.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Agreed
  14. Er, mine is linked to a debit card from my UK account.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Yep, definitely go for the standard kindle. Non back lit screen works in bright light, battery lasts for ages, hold loads of books .but I wouldn't bother with the 3G unless you do a lot of traveling, or you've got the cash spare (I haven't). I'd even avoid the version with a keyboard and just use the awkward on screen keyboard for the rare times you need it - it bungs the cost up and makes it bigger, the non keyboard version is small enough to fit up it's own arrse

Mines linked to a debit card, Calibre for managing books not on the right format , and Kindle Collection Manager to manage the books into separate collections once they're on there.