'KIN 'ELL !! been heavy in here today...so......

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
I was aware of the appalling treatment @Auld_Sapper received by the publisher who I think no longer posts on ARRSE... however myself and others innocently purchased Kindle and hard back copies before the awful series of events was revealed ... I bought the Kindle version so I may keep my numbered hard copy book with a dedication kindly written by @Auld_Sapper in pristine condition .

Pleased to read you are assisting with any future publication ... it is a tail , see what I did there , worth telling .and the original author should rightly be rewarded .
Not sure of the finer details here, but I just found this;

"We also would like to hear from the authors, their successors or their assignees, of any other book considered to be in copyright, and which we publish, with a view to remunerating those persons with their due royalties."

EDIT - Also this - having just read most of the thread and now more familiar with the goings on, someone else did mention that the publisher had died. Looks like the website may have had one or two updates since, so might be worth making contact again. You never know, his wife might be a bit more of the honest variety.

Last edited:
Not sure of the finer details here, but I just found this;

"We also would like to hear from the authors, their successors or their assignees, of any other book considered to be in copyright, and which we publish, with a view to remunerating those persons with their due royalties."
Hopefully @Auld_Sapper will find your Post very interesting .

Auld_Sapper

War Hero
Ola and greetings fellow Arrsers from a hot and sweaty Algarve. It's been a while (isn't it always) but I hope this finds you all well.
So, the books original publisher has died. In 2016! Meu Deus doesn't the time fly. This is around about the time we were last in contact so I suppose kicking the bucket and ascending to Para Valhalla is a really, really reasonable reason for not getting in touch.
I am sad to learn of his passing for despite the way the whole "Published Author" thing turned out and the sometimes harsh words and accusations that have been bandied about, not least by me in my bitter and usually Sagres fuelled rants, had it not been for David Westwood the book would probably never have seen the light of day. I had a lot of dealings with him and indeed met when we did the book signing thing all those years ago and I liked the man. That there was a lot of naivety, inexperience, wishful thinking, a rush to publish and just bad luck involved on both sides is without doubt but an intent on Davids part to defraud, rip off or **** me over? Not as far as this C/S's concerned.
As his wife Ros states on the MLRS Books site WWII history was his passion and he knew his stuff, wrote seven books, lectured at Sandhurst etc. etc. but he found, like many others have, that translating a passion, pastime or hobby into a business doesn't always work and although I wasn't aware of it the company was in trouble at the time of my books publishing. David saw me and Stumpy as his JK Rowling/Andy McNab hence the rush to publish and things done and not done that, with hindsight, should have been different.
MLRS didn't survive for long after that. Davids co- director died in 2015 and the business folded but it's good to see his work is still available.
And so to today. 10 years after those heady days and the revamped book sitting about waiting for the relaunch. It's on the list of "Things to do", it really is, it's just that it's a fair way down the list unfortunately as getting it done involves time, energy and concentration that's in short supply at the moment.
Next month is 5 years since the Belfast Bitch had her big throat cancer op and she's not doing so well. It'll be three years since no.1 son came off his bike. and he, of course, is having to come to terms with this life changing shit which includes daddy dear wiping his arrse and changing his diapers and I've had to haul my auld arrse back on site to earn some mullah to pay for this while I battle fcuking beuroracracy to get them the help and assistance they're entitled to. So,aye, it keeps you busy.
Anyhoo, this has turned into a right longwinded dribble has it no just? So I'll away the noo and get some beauty sleep.
Thanks for listening and for the continued interest and support for the book. It's really appreciated.

Ubique Ya Bass

Last edited:

Ritch

LE
Ola and greetings fellow Arrsers from a hot and sweaty Algarve. It's been a while (isn't it always) but I hope this finds you all well.
So, the books original publisher has died. In 2016! Meu Deus doesn't the time fly. This is around about the time we were last in contact so I suppose kicking the bucket and ascending to Para Valhalla is a really, really reasonable reason for not getting in touch.
I am sad to learn of his passing for despite the way the whole "Published Author" thing turned out and the sometimes harsh words and accusations that have been bandied about, not least by me in my bitter and usually Sagres fuelled rants, had it not been for David Westwood the book would probably never have seen the light of day. I had a lot of dealings with him and indeed met when we did the book signing thing all those years ago and I liked the man. That there was a lot of naivety, inexperience, wishful thinking, a rush to publish and just bad luck involved on both sides is without doubt but an intent on Davids part to defraud, rip off or **** me over? Not as far as this C/S's concerned.
As his wife Ros states on the MLRS Books site WWII history was his passion and he knew his stuff, wrote seven books, lectured at Sandhurst etc. etc. but he found, like many others have, that translating a passion, pastime or hobby into a business doesn't always work and although I wasn't aware of it the company was in trouble at the time of my books publishing. David saw me and Stumpy as his JK Rowling/Andy McNab hence the rush to publish and things done and not done that, with hindsight, should have been different.
MLRS didn't survive for long after that. Davids co- director died in 2015 and the business folded but it's good to see his work is still available.
And so to today. 10 years after those heady days and the revamped book sitting about waiting for the relaunch. It's on the list of "Things to do", it really is, it's just that it's a fair way down the list unfortunately as getting it done involves time, energy and concentration that's in short supply at the moment.
Next month is 5 years since the Belfast Bitch had her big throat cancer op and it'll be 2 years since she had the tongue cancer. It'll be 1 year since she had the op for her stomach feeding tube as she can't eat or drink by mouth and she's not doing so well. I fkucing hate Julys. It'll be three years since I stood at the bottom of an ICU bed in Faro Hospital and gazed down on no.1 son, zonked in an induced comma and covered in various tubes and having just been told that he'd never walk again was thinking, "Bollocks, that's the bucket list plan of spending a year on a south sea island teaching Hebridean Waulking Songs to dusky maidens in grass skirts with their tits hanging out fcuked then!" or some such. He, of course, is having to come to terms with this life changing shit which includes daddy dear wiping his arrse and changing his diapers and I've had to haul my auld arrse back on site to earn some mullah to pay for this while I battle fcuking beuroracracy to get them the help and assistance they're entitled to. So,aye, it keeps you busy.
Anyhoo, this has turned into a right longwinded dribble has it no just? So I'll away the noo and get some beauty sleep.
Thanks for listening and for the continued interest and support for the book. It's really appreciated.

Ubique Ya Bass

But apart from that, it's been a good few years, aye?

Auld_Sapper

War Hero
But apart from that, it's been a good few years, aye?
Ach it could, as they say, be worse. At least I still have my stunning good looks, breathtaking personality and, since kicking the drink and losing weight, a willy that looks enormous. Oh, and it doesn't snow here nor do suffer ubiquitous jubilee bollox, so, aye, could be worse.
Ubique Ya Bass

For those curious about the "Auld Sapper", his Mrs has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

I'm sure that he could do with a bit of moral support (as could Gwen).

Auld_Sapper

War Hero
For those curious about the "Auld Sapper", his Mrs has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

I'm sure that he could do with a bit of moral support (as could Gwen).
Thanks for that dude. Aye, got the news last month and we are, as I speak/txt... whatever sitting in a cafe near the hospital in Faro. Gwen's had her bloods and COVID test done, next stop palliative care unit to start her immunotherapy treatment. The other question, the elephant in the room I suppose is 'how long?' and that I don't know, nobody does until we see how this ew tumor responds to the treatment. She's doing not bad all things considered, she is a remarkable woman but then she would point out that she'd fcuking well have to be to put up with my gibbering fcuking arrse for 43 years.
Ubique ya Bass!
As they say around here.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that dude. Aye, got the news last month and we are, as I speak/txt... whatever sitting in a cafe near the hospital in Faro. Gwen's had her bloods and COVID test done, next stop palliative care unit to start her immunotherapy treatment. The other question, the elephant in the room I suppose is 'how long?' and that I don't know, nobody does until we see how this ew tumor responds to the treatment. She's doing not bad all things considered, she is a remarkable woman but then she would point out that she'd fcuking well have to be to put up with my gibbering fcuking arrse for 43 years.
Ubique ya Bass!
As they say around here.
To look on the bright side A-S, The Leader of the Opposition aka Mrs Smeg, has just finished her second load of treatment for breast cancer. She had it 23 years ago and they removed and rebuilt her breasts and told her she couldn't get it again. Roll forward 21 years and she gets diagnosed again. This time she didn't have to go through chemo or radiotherapy, they used a drug called Palbocyclid that starves the cancer. Bloody marvellous! She still has to take a secondary drug for the rest of her life, but hey what's that compared to life.
Chin up mucker, if you need a chat, I'm available on PM.

jmb3296

LE
Book Reviewer
Ubique ya Bass!
As they say around here.
Sorry to learn of this, best wishes to you both And especially Gwen.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
Ubique ya Bass!
As they say around here.
My BiL's mum has just has the bad news that the treatment hasn't stopped her Cancer. We spent last Sunday on a cruise up and down the Solent raising money for Cancer Research. She wanted to gather all her friends and family around her while she is well enough to enjoy it. We don't know how long she has but she is determined to enjoy life as much as possible. Here's hoping that the money raised is the bit that finds another cure.
Wishing you and Gwen the best and fingers crossed for her treatment.

What a marvellous thread. I bought the book... Then finished the thread and learned of your difficulties across the years. Sorry to hear it's been that way. All the best to you and Gwen.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ubique ya Bass!
As they say around here.
See @Ravers thread here mate https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/chemo-who’s-been-through-it.307599/ hopefully it'll be the same for you

Ubique ya Bass!
As they say around here.
Please remember the word Cancer does not automatically mean "death sentence".
9 years ago I was diagnosed with bladder cancer. Surgery and a bit of post op chemo. Doctor did s cystoscope exam (tiny camera thing up the urethra) every three months for a year and every six months since. No sign of cancer returning.
More than a year ago I developed a urinary blockage due to prostate. Due to the proximity of organs I convinced myself the cancer had come back. Covid slowed things down and I had a catheter up me for 328 days (not that I was counting mind you). Finally had surgery by a laser up the old urethra, minimal bleeding no real post op pain other than cramping for two days. Talking with the surgeon after the op she said I could expect that as there was 180 grams of tissue gone.
A week later she called and said the most beautiful word in the English language, "benign"!!!
9 years post cancer and so far no recurrence . Cystoscope every 6 months but I have gotten used to that.
One funny thing though, before the op talking to the surgeon she warned me that I would no longer be able to father children. I explained that I was 75 and divorced and it was extremely unlikely that i could find a willing woman of child bearing age. She laughed.
Prayers and best wishes to you and your bride. Spending so much time dealing with medical stuff requires patience but she has put with you all these years so she must be a patient lady