Kim Howells goes off script

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jul 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else catch the Foreign Office Minister departing from the party line over Lebanon on the news today?

He seemed a tad...... upset.

2. From Reuters:

Foreign Office Minister Kim Howells criticised Israeli attacks in Lebanon on Saturday, suggesting they were indiscriminate, in the strongest condemnation yet of Israeli action by a British official.

"You know, if they're chasing Hizbollah, then go for Hizbollah. You don't go for the entire Lebanese nation."

"Howells criticises Israel attacks"
    Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:17 PM BST
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=2006-07-22T171724Z_01_L22453428_RTRUKOC_0_UK-MIDEAST-BRITAIN.xml

3. Was that the soon to be 'ex' Foreign Office Minister and future Minister i/c Bog Rolls ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet 'Tone' and his Chimp buddy are well impressed... not!

4. Ah, the ways of politics. Who can be sure what they actually mean? It's unusual for any minister to make a statement unless there's a reason behind it - any really bad domestic news in the small print?

5. He was visibly hacked off, I don't think it's a gentle signal, I think he was talking for himself. He was certainly not a happy bunny.

6. Probably thinking of his trip to Israel tomorrow/today. I bet he's looking forward to a really friendly welcome.

7. Kim Howells has form for speaking his mind - as Arts Minister, he wrote in a guest book at some 'conceptual' art show: "This is a load of crap". And then he signed the guest book.
    Fair play to the man.

8. Yep. Good for him. It would be refreshing to see some other Ministers saying what they think. Speaking of which, is it me or has Mrs Beckett been keeping an extremely low profile in the current shenanigans. I mean, she is the Foreign Secretary...isn't she?

9. Nice to see someone with some balls in our political "leadership". At least Claire Short & Robin Cook (RIP) had the decency to resign - I wonder if Mr Howells will fall on his sword too - shame Tony, Prezza & Beckett haven't got the guts to stand up and agree with Kofi Annan.

10. 'Tis unusual to see a politician showing they have spunk.

Outside of a park at midnight that is.

11. I am sure that incurring the displeasure of the Dear Leader is not the deterrent it once was, and dissent at this time may be part of political manouverings for Year Zero, when his name will be expunged from history! :twisted:

12. I may be rather cynical, but Margaret Beckett would be the person I would put in replace Jack Straw if I thought he was too much of a maverick thruster who posed a threat to the celebrity and *cough* "influence" that the Celestial Navigator has with the Spams. :roll:

To borrow a phrase first used to describe Geoffrey Howe, not only is she about as threatening as a dead sheep, but she actually looks like one too.

13. Crivens! Don't tell me one of our Cabinet has finally woken up to the fact that war isn't a gentlemanly game played with swords or a duelling pistol? Now perhaps he can extrapolate a wee bit and get his fcukin mates to stop invading everywhere at the drop of a hat
    so's the soldiers of his own Army can get a bit of peace now and again. :evil:

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on one and sound angry!

14. Drinking from Home has the REAL STORY behind this so called minister ignores policy line....

"Foreign Office Minister Kim Howells was interviewed from Beirut on Radio 4's Today this morning. He followed moonbat MP Clare Short, who had just given one of her stuck-record analyses of international relations (anti-American, anti-British, anti-Israeli). While Howells made some criticisms of Israeli tactics, he reserved his harshest comments for those who are attacking Israel. He began with this response to Short:

"She’s saying in effect that it’s all right for a terrorist group to kidnap and murder some Israeli soldiers as long as they don’t murder and kidnap too many, I suppose. Look, a nation has got a right to defend itself against this kind of action... If people were lobbing bombs into London presumably we wouldn’t be allowed to retaliate under Clare Short’s kind of analysis... What is a fair way to respond, that’s what I’d like to know. If rockets are fired with high explosives into the middle of cities, targeted precisely at civilians, what is proportional?... If we say there must be a ceasefire immediately that makes us feel very good, it makes people like Clare Short feel very good, and the Independent and the Guardian feel very good. It does nothing for the people of south Lebanon or for the people of Israel."

In response to further questions from the interviewer he said:

The original issue is that by security resolution 1559 the Lebanese government was supposed to disarm Hezbollah, get the militias out of that area and stop them having the ability to escalate this conflict whenever they want to. That’s precisely what they’ve done - they’ve murdered, they’ve kidnapped, and now suddenly you’re telling me they’ve got the world on their side - I don’t think that’s true.

And how has the BBC portrayed Howells’ views? Like this:

MINISTER CONDEMS ISRAELI ACTION

There's no mention of Howells’ opinions on Hezbollah, the Lebanese government, or resolution 1559. Wonder why?"

15. Ohhh well! It made a good story for a while. Now we'll just have to listen to more 'Caravaning experiences in the Near-East with Beckett' stories for entertainment.