Kilts

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Hescoheed, Jun 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At the risk of being hurled abuse at by the Scottish contingent to Arrse, I am asking those people in the know what would be appropriate kilt attire for a wedding.

I am a guest at a wedding in Aviemore, coming up rather shortly and it has been suggested that the wearing of kilts would be a nice touch to what is going to turn out to be a very traditional Scottish wedding. I have worn a kilt for another Scottish based wedding last year, although the 'Prince Charlie' outfit made me feel too formal, as I was simply a member of the congregation and usual p**s artist that evening. I have also worn the same standard of kilt attire at a Regtl burns night (Scottish based Regt), but that was a formal night so the 'Prince Charlie' was appropriate.

Has anyone got any useful suggestions as to what a suitable standard of kilt attire would be? Would a John Brown green tweed with Kilt be a better option? Don't want to upstage the groom et al.

PS: I have researched and found the correct tartan for my Regt and failing that I have some rather diluted Scottish blood, so I can at least wear with confidence my ancestral tartan, just in case someone was going to have a pop :D

Cheers all

2. Generally the prince charlie is worn at weddings but as you say it is a bit formal and is not strictly correct for day time use.
    You can opt for the tweed jacket during day time along with a semi dress sporran (leather and seal skin) but may i suggest a black barathea Braemar or Argyll jacket. This is in the same material as the prince charlie but in the style of the tweed, Practical for both day and night. Not too formal
    Please dont wear a "braveheart" shirt

3. Cheers Vandyke

I can rest your mind at ease, I had absolutely no intention of going cheese and even entertaining the idea of the Braveheart shirt. I'd rather go in the buff.

Thanks I'll look at the other options.