Kilts...Advice Please (From the benefit of experience)

Did your kilt help you pull?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. In view of the words of wisdom from venerable ARRSE members I have decided I will indeed wear the Kilt and I have ressurected this thread to ask another question..

In selecting the overall package, which is best, The Argyle or the Prince Charlie...or some other variation that I'm not aware of???

Any more of your storys would provide some more light hearted entertainment too.... :D

legal_eagle said:
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. In view of the words of wisdom from venerable ARRSE members I have decided I will indeed wear the Kilt and I have ressurected this thread to ask another question..

In selecting the overall package, which is best, The Argyle or the Prince Charlie...or some other variation that I'm not aware of???

Any more of your storys would provide some more light hearted entertainment too.... :D
Prince Charlie for dining, but the Argyll always looks sort of casual. Up to you really - or maybe even dig out your old mess dress jacket and chuck the min-rack on it. :wink:

Kilts even work for pie-eaters like me! - Although the missus does say that I remind her of her aunty Ethel :roll:

Either way always remember my dear mother's words when I returned from the Depot in full Highland regimental wear No 2A......"Son if you're going to be a man you need to learn to sit like a lady!"

Cabarfeidh said:
Either way always remember my dear mother's words when I returned from the Depot in full Highland regimental wear No 2A......"Son if you're going to be a man you need to learn to sit like a lady!"
Made me laugh out loud that one!!! Sounds like good advice!! And for the record, I DO intend to wear the Kilt as god intended it to be worn!!!

Underwear's for wimps!!

Tartan_Smudger said:
Prince Charlie for dining, but the Argyll always looks sort of casual. Up to you really - or maybe even dig out your old mess dress jacket and chuck the min-rack on it. :wink:
The mini-rack is going to be there alright!!!

I only wear the gongs once a year now and since that involves standing next to to the old boys with Buma Stars, Africa Stars, MMs, DCMs, MCs, etc, I wouldn't miss my chance to big it up for once!!!

I wonder if I could get away with telling the girls my Queens Golden Jubilee Medal is really a QGM!!! :D

legal_eagle said:
I'm loving all these stories by the way...After what I've heard so far I've already decided to wear one but they're still good to hear!!

Any girlies online with their opinions on men in Kilts??? (or experiences!!) :D

Legal, there is nothing sexier than a man in a kilt, but not with the william wallace shirt, has to be worn with shirt and jacket, its a bit like knowing that a woman in the room is going commando.....

Re underwear. I always understood that commando was OK unless dancing was involved. Wike seems to say the same
While not strictly an "accessory" of Highland or Scottish dress, the subject of underwear has been of long standing interest to observers.
To go without underwear is often referred to as "going regimental" or "military practice" and is considered by some to be the traditional practice though there is no evidence of official policy regarding undergarments in military forces that wear the kilt.
Highland dancers and athletes, however, are bound by the nature of their competitions to appropriately and modestly clad themselves. In Highland Dance competitions and exhibitions, the regulations of the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing (SOBHD) state regarding underwear: "dark or toning with the kilt should be worn but not white." Highland athletes are also required to wear shorts of some type during the athletic competitions and most opt for either regular shorts or Lycra

OldRedCap said:
Re underwear. I always understood that commando was OK unless dancing was involved. Wike seems to say the same
While not strictly an "accessory" of Highland or Scottish dress, the subject of underwear has been of long standing interest to observers.
To go without underwear is often referred to as "going regimental" or "military practice" and is considered by some to be the traditional practice though there is no evidence of official policy regarding undergarments in military forces that wear the kilt.
Highland dancers and athletes, however, are bound by the nature of their competitions to appropriately and modestly clad themselves. In Highland Dance competitions and exhibitions, the regulations of the Scottish Official Board of Highland Dancing (SOBHD) state regarding underwear: "dark or toning with the kilt should be worn but not white." Highland athletes are also required to wear shorts of some type during the athletic competitions and most opt for either regular shorts or Lycra
Fair point ORC.....depending on how many sherberts I have there could well be some dancing involved and the particular style of dancing associated with drunken squaddies wouldnt leave too much to the imagination would it!!

Maybe I should keep a pair of skids next to the hip flask in the sporran just in case?!?!

scotlass said:
Legal, there is nothing sexier than a man in a kilt, but not with the william wallace shirt, has to be worn with shirt and jacket, its a bit like knowing that a woman in the room is going commando.....
Scotlass....That is absolutely the best advice so far!!! I know exactly where you're coming from on that one! :wink:

Knowing a woman was going commando would certainly get the blood flowing!

hurrahfortheRE said:
Wear it with pride, but wear it properly.

Richard Branson had loads of publicity shots WEARING A KILT BACKWARDS, got slated in the news all over the world.

TWART

However never ever fails.

Even with my legs.
LOL! I see what you mean...deserves the slagging he got.....

Attachments

My dear old dad still regales everyone with tales of his old Sarn't Major when he was in the ASH (late 40's) who would check, with the aid of a mirror, to ensure that everyone was properly attired before going out. As a result, the less brave souls carried skivvies in their sporrans

To this day he insists that the wearing of underwear is against Kings Regs

At a wedding both my brothers wore the kilt and my mother insisted they wore underwear, and she checked as well, so they both wore matching leopard print g-strings, but after the inspection the g-strings were removed, and in the doorway out of the watchful mothers eye proceeded to prove to anyone who could see that they were indeed true scotsmen.

Coming from a Scots Irish background and having spent part of my own undistinguished military service in two kilted regiments, I’m a proud supporter of wearing a kilt and wearing it properly.

My wife agreed to my wearing one (and my best man and ushers too) at our wedding 5 years ago I had one made up and the damn thing cost almost as much as the wife’s dress. At least though I get to wear it more than once.

My Wife is Filipina and we combined the traditions of both cultures for our wedding including having her piped down the aisle.

My mother in law couldn’t travel to Canada for the wedding (she was in her late 80’s, my wife is the youngest) so the family sent her videos of the whole ceremony.

Supposedly she sat on the couch watching it intently without comment. When it was over the relative who brought the video to her asked what she thought. She admitted she was pleased to see her youngest daughter finally married (we both married late in our 40s) after all this time, but she was bit concerned about one thing. Why was her new son in law and all his friends wearing dresses?

legal_eagle said:

A no-brainer as far as wearing the kilt goes. As for jacket, I'd say the Argyle, but I doubt whether anyone will be paying attention to your upper attire.

And once you hit the dance floor (especially for the slower numbers), slide the sporran to the side to make it a bit more comfartable for the ladies.

"Is that a caber in your sporran..."?

Enjoy!

Litotes said:
If you have legs like matchsticks: Nil
Not so...

Advice for the less gifted in the calf muscle department: get a pair of socks. chop off the feet. Wear them under the dress socks, it's cheaper than an implant.

Alternatives for the "not quite pipecleaner" brigade: get slightly longer dress socks, and fold them over twice; so that the thickest bit of the calf has three layers of sock over it.

Did me well as a scrawny young thing :)

If your plug, dont matter how many kilts you have on unless your hung like the proverbial equine. It would have to be hanging below the sporran to attract any girlie action. On the other hand, if your like me and always on the verge of scoring, it can tip the balance. Go for it, true scotsman style. At least if you dont score after some old badger wheechs your kilt up, you will know why. :)

Wasn't it the urban myth that HM The Queen Mum was inspecting the Watch on parade when they executed an about turn and gave her a view of 600 hairy ginger bums?

Thereafter the regs were said to have stated that underwear WAS to be worn on any parade involving an about turn and the presence of ladies on parade?

In all my time I never wore undies but it don't half chaff bits underneath as it gets very hot under there! I got prickly heat in minus 2 degree temperature on Edinburgh Castle Guard in 1979!

And we too had a polished mirror on the deck outside the Guardroom in Kirknewton.

Then again, those who were informed by the famous Provost Sergeant "Black Prince" Christie that "he'd seen better legs on a chicken" were to be seen wearing trews rather than kilts about camp !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A The Intelligence Cell 221
squigeypie The NAAFI Bar 33
thegimp Military Clothing & Boots 58