Kilt Required Urgently!

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Tartan_Terrier, Sep 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi troops and troopettes,
    I'm going to a mate's wedding at the end of the month and he's just asked me to wear a kilt (he's a Scot too, and he doesn't want to be the only one in a kilt at the wedding).

I've seen plenty on Ebay, but they seem to be either acrylic, or really expensive, and since my car has just had a trip to the workshop again, spending 300-400 quid is out of the question.

Unfortunately I'm not UK based anymore, so finding a kilt isn't as easy as it would be if I were at home, therefore places with a website are probably my best bet.

I'm after a kilt in Lamont tartan preferably, but I may settle for something generic if I can't get anything else.

Any suggestions?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You can hire one online from this Mob:

The choice is fairly limited, but they will deliver throughout the UK.

I am presuming that the Wedding is UK based, if not ignore all the above! :D
  3. Hi again people,
    I've had a bit of a look round, both on the posted links (thanks everybody) and elsewhere on the net, and it looks like I'm going to have serious difficulty getting a kilt in the correct tartan in time for the wedding.

The question is, which tartan do I get instead? I've had a look at some of the generic tartans, and I haven't really found one I like and which has a similar pattern to Lamont tartan (if I can't get the right one, I'd at least like to get one that was close).

Any suggestions?

4. TT

Try these guys

I had my kilt made here but they have Lamont listed as a hire tartan, they are very helpful and reasonably priced.

You can wear any district/generic tartan ie: caledonian, jacobite, culloden, Black watch but the one you should not wear is Campbell or any directly associated with the they destroyed your clan.

Edited to add..If you can find a connection to Fraser, and you have a 34-36 inch waist, have a look at "fraser dress" tartan on the above site and you can borrow mine if you are willing to front the postage.
  5. Thanks for the offer Pocoyo, but unfortunately I've absolutely no connection to the Fraser clan.

I will of course be steering well clear of the Campbells. Thanks for the heads up though.

Looks like Black Watch is my best bet then.

6. Failing that maybe you could look at the Scottish National Tartan or the pride of Scotland? BOth fairly attractive weaves.
  7. msr

msr LE

Just tell them it's a Laphroaig tartan, they'll never know.
  8. Which is gaelic for 'fat untrustworthy car salesman.
  9. Are you a Campbell then Biscuits?
  10. The concept of tartans being associated with clans is, IIRC, fairly new. I seemt to recall it was originally quoted by Sir Walter Scott for a royal visit to Edinburgh.

Just wear any tartan and talk lucidly about it being something else.
  11. It largely will depend on if you just want to only hire the kilt in which case most kilt hire shops should be able to accomodate you. If on the other hand you want the outfit to keep you will be looking at around £1300 for the prince charlie outfit plus kilt. I would reccomend the heavyweight kilt it is much better. Don't worry about the cost as just wearing the kilt 10 times and you will have paid for it if you compare the costs of hirining either the kilt or a suit.

12. I've resigned myself to not getting the correct tartan. All the kiltmakers I've contacted can offer me either Royal Stewart, or weird and wonderful tartans (all the ones they can't sell I think) in various shades of purple and/or pink.

As to talking lucidly about anything, that's only for the first hour or two, after that all bets are off.