Kilt Makers in Scotland Needed

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by LordVonHarley, Nov 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right then, I'm getting hitched and require a new kilt.

Edinburgh is a wash with kilt makers and shops pimping tartan skirts and modern gayish things with pockets and easy access.

I don't fancy paying over the odds and I'm willing to go out to the hinterlands of civilisation to get a good deal.

Answers on a post card please :O)

I have also heard that Indian Tailors have started making kilts for expats - any one know if they are any good?

p.s - Hopefully it will not end in a divorce
  2. Do not under any circumstances buy a kilt from Indian tailors or Sikh owned tartan tat shops in Edinburgh. Geoffrey Taylor in Edinburgh's Canongate or any traditional kilt maker is the place to go. It will set you back about £400 (for the kilt) but you will get a bespoke, hand-made garment which will last a lifetime and can be let out a couple of inches when you slide into middle age. It will be made of pure new wool and have numerous pleats, allowing it to hang properly. An indian kilt will look and feel like a pleated schoolgirl's skirt by comparison.
  3. Stooriefit - I fully agree about the tartan skirts punted out in the tat shops. However I have heard that high end tailors in Delhi are making kilts for expats. Just as good as ones made in Scotland by all accounts.
  4. So Scottish people being tight fisted isn't just a myth then, obviously.

Get a proper Scottish kilt from a proper Scottish kiltmaker and wear it with pride - or just hire one from Moss Bros.

5. Hector Russell in Edinburgh. Theres a shop on Princess Street and another on the Royal Mile. Been in business for over 50 years. I got my kilt there, very reasonable prices, made well and made quickly.

Welcome to Hector Russell
  6. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Get Shirty on Rose Street in Edinburgh does some good deals.
  7. Thanks - Is the Tartan Tailor the same ones that where on Morrison Street in Edinburgh (they made my Dad's kilt back in the 70's).
  8. Give her your house and half your money now and get it over and done with.
  9. Some good gen here, been trying to convince SWMBO that I really need a kilt for formal occasions for some time now.
  10. She already has the house and half my wage goes into the joint bank account............ Doh!
  11. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Then why buy a kilt, just get a noose,,,, your fcuked!!!!
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Sorry to hear that.
  13. It has it's upside, we have gone halves on a bastard who is great fun.
  14. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

you adopted a Maureeen?