Killings in Aldershot

How sad! Poor little girl, sounds as if she's been killed by one of the people she trusted most in her little life.

It's like CSI Aldershot round here. For those that know Aldershot it's just opposite The Golden Lion pub by Manor Park.

Well it wasnt me I have been away since last year, honest. Aldershot has always been rough, but in days gone by it was squaddie rough rather than whats happening these days.

Im guessing this is no where near the married patches then?

Firstly the attack on a plane heading for the US & now a tragic ending in Aldershot,

looking forward to year ending tbh, even more nervous as to what 2010 has installed for us, not good!

jack-daniels said:
bovvy said:
jack-daniels said:
Christ! This is just round the corner from me. Quiet part of town as well:
Just around the corner from my daughter and granddaughter. It says here that it was a man believed to be the little girl's father who shot them. Tragic!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6970504.ece
Will I know them? I live just across from the church at the top of the road.
Unlikely you know them, but they may pass your home en route to school. They live off the opposite corner of the park.

jack-daniels said:
bovvy said:
jack-daniels said:
Christ! This is just round the corner from me. Quiet part of town as well:
Just around the corner from my daughter and granddaughter. It says here that it was a man believed to be the little girl's father who shot them. Tragic!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6970504.ece
Will I know them? I live just across from the church at the top of the road.
It's that 2nd bench from the birchtree.

Sad story there mate. Especially with a child involved. With 2009 ending with this kind of news makes it a horrible year for a great lot of people.

It is a terrible thing. I have no alibi as I was asleep alone....

RIP that poor little girl.

LAIT said:
The shooting did not take place in the military area of Aldershot, which has a large army base.
Ah good, for my first thought was that this must have involved a soldier. Or not.
Now that I see it doesn't, I fail to account for this thread's continued presence.
Best post:

beemer007 said:
Firstly the attack on a plane heading for the US & now a tragic ending in Aldershot,

looking forward to year ending tbh, even more nervous as to what 2010 has installed for us, not good!
CA at its best, ladies and gentlemen.
Who knows. Considering around this area there are hundreds of ex squaddies you never can tell. Violence and Aldershot go hand in hand.

Maybe it's continued presence is due to it being News?

So very tragic,what goes through peoples minds to want to kill their kids and then take their own life as well :? Suicide does not pay :!:

Just confirmed that the mother has also died. Very sad, but in a way I think that it might be for the best. I know that if my daughter died in that way, I don't think that I'd want to carry on.

RIP.

Only a mile from here.

the_guru said:
Just confirmed that the mother has also died. Very sad, but in a way I think that it might be for the best. I know that if my daughter died in that way, I don't think that I'd want to carry on.

RIP.

Only a mile from here.
Just heard it too. My sentiments exactly, the_guru. I don't see that I could carry on, though there seem to be some folks who demonstrate incredible strength following seemingly insurmountable tragedies.

Rightly or wrongly, having spent Christmas so close to the location, I'm saddened by the news.

EDIT: Damn! Having posted the above, am I turning into a grief whore? Out of curiosity I looked up Facebook groups, to find some rapidly expanding groups:

http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=maisie copland&o=69&sid=1039001992.450392062..1

I like to think there is a difference between my (pre-edit) post and the out-pourings on Facebook ........ but fancy there's nowt more than a fag-paper in it. :roll:

bigbird67 said:
How sad! Poor little girl, sounds as if she's been killed by one of the people she trusted most in her little life.
Hey, BigBird. :D Bearing in mind your above post and a post of yours on the "boy hanged in woods" thread, about kids being subjected to "counselling", I would be grateful of your opinion on the school's handling of this sad incident. I had decided that I would not post something so personal on Arrse, but perhaps I will:

My 5 year old granddaughter lives not far from where this incident took place and attends the infant school where this little girl was in the reception year. Until she returned to school she was unaware of this tragedy. Because this is such an unreconcilable and extraordinary tragedy and, thinking that 5 year olds seem to only register certain experiences, and that "gossip" in an infant school might not be an issue, our policy, as a family, was not to tell my granddaughter. FFS, how and why do you tell a 5 year old a little girl was shot dead by her father?!?!?! 8O

Anyway, the first day back at school after Xmas (and only day, because the school was closed because of snow and ice), my daughter picked her up from school. My granddaughter came out of school, with a cocky attitude, saying, "A girl in year R, called Maisie, is dead and her mummy is dead, because her daddy shot them with a gun and killed himself. I'm not going to play the gun game anymore." When asked, she told my daughter that her teacher had given her the information. We were not pleased at the way this seems to have been handled.

My granddaughter does not seem to have mentioned the tragedy and seems to be working through it through play?

Her little friend, who idolises her dad, was reluctant to look him in the eye the other day. She told him, "If you get cross with me, are you going to kill me?"

EDIT: I don't know if it would be unreasonable, but I had thought the school may have consulted parents before telling the kids? After all, (unless it's changed) there used to be consultation before embarking on sex education with kids; which, after all, is something basic to life and, in primary school, very elementary.

I don't know much about child psychology, but read somewhere it's best to be open with kids. But, surely that's about the deaths they need to know about. I really don't think 5 year olds would be talking to each other about this horror (if not told by the teacher). They don't really seem to eaves-drop either? Unless it concerns Santa or the sweet shop? And they tend to get the wrong end of the stick?

My granddaughter talks about the death of her great granddad and says she misses him, but is aware that this was a "normal" death, because, to her, being in his 60s is very old.

And it was important for her to learn that the pet rabbit died, because it was very poorly, and is now at peace.

I guess my granddaughter is not traumatised by the news of this horrific incident, but I really do wish she hadn't been told ....... or the "telling" was handled differently. :roll: