Killing the Kilt

#1
Was out at an event not too long ago when I spotted a fat gutted nut wearing a tan leather kilt with a huge riveted pocket on the front apron..looked like one of those home renovation tool pouches.. stupidest thing I ever saw.. when he went past I noticed this stitched logo on the ass end.. " Utilikilt "....who dreams these things up?

anyway..thought it was some one off deal.. now I see that some lame punk kid who is the son of a kiltmaker in Edinborough has decided to 'extend the kilt franchise ' from dealing in traditional tartan wraps to add blue jean denim kilts, camouflage kilts, leather kilts and.. this one I love... transparent pink plastic kilts..

So, how many of you guys would be caught out [ other than at Hallowe'en ] in a Chav Kilt??

pink plastic.. oooh, that would make a great regimental for one of the highland Units..

[ edited to add: The Company is geoffrey Tailors and the designer is Howie Nicholsby..in case anyone wants to get a custom fit ]
 
#3
Rocketeer said:
Was out at an event not too long ago when I spotted a fat gutted nut wearing a tan leather kilt with a huge riveted pocket on the front apron..looked like one of those home renovation tool pouches.. stupidest thing I ever saw.. when he went past I noticed this stitched logo on the ass end.. " Utilikilt "....who dreams these things up?

anyway..thought it was some one off deal.. now I see that some lame punk kid who is the son of a kiltmaker in Edinborough has decided to 'extend the kilt franchise ' from dealing in traditional tartan wraps to add blue jean denim kilts, camouflage kilts, leather kilts and.. this one I love... transparent pink plastic kilts..

So, how many of you guys would be caught out [ other than at Hallowe'en ] in a Chav Kilt??

pink plastic.. oooh, that would make a great regimental for one of the highland Units..

[ edited to add: The Company is geoffrey Tailors and the designer is Howie Nicholsby..in case anyone wants to get a custom fit ]
Sooooooo wrong
 
#5
vandyke said:
If its not tartan it is a skirt, (irish kilts excluded)
What about the London Scottish's strange pink kilts?
 
#7


More pink than grey if you ask me!
 
#8

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#9
Tartan_Terrier said:


More pink than grey if you ask me!
I don't know much about the London Regiment (as it says on the Colour) but why is a non commissioned, SNCO holding the Colour as it is - I presume - unfurled? I seem to recall that the Colours are carried by Commissioned officers, although the Drum Major takes the case off the Colour just prior to them being brought on parade.

Is this something the LR do differently, and if so, why?
 
#10
Gillylady said:
Rocketeer said:
Was out at an event not too long ago when I spotted a fat gutted nut wearing a tan leather kilt with a huge riveted pocket on the front apron..looked like one of those home renovation tool pouches.. stupidest thing I ever saw.. when he went past I noticed this stitched logo on the ass end.. " Utilikilt "....who dreams these things up?

anyway..thought it was some one off deal.. now I see that some lame punk kid who is the son of a kiltmaker in Edinborough has decided to 'extend the kilt franchise ' from dealing in traditional tartan wraps to add blue jean denim kilts, camouflage kilts, leather kilts and.. this one I love... transparent pink plastic kilts..

So, how many of you guys would be caught out [ other than at Hallowe'en ] in a Chav Kilt??

pink plastic.. oooh, that would make a great regimental for one of the highland Units..

[ edited to add: The Company is geoffrey Tailors and the designer is Howie Nicholsby..in case anyone wants to get a custom fit ]
Sooooooo wrong
http://www.21stcenturykilts.com/gallery.htm look first and then say its wrong (because it fecking well is)
 
#13
im sure that is still a tartan of sorts, Hodden grey.
It is a traditional highland cloth similar to tweed.
It was chosen to avoid any clan rivalry when the london scottish chose a tartan.
looks very smart if you ask me
 
#15
GM_1000 said:
daz said:
http://www.21stcenturykilts.com/gallery.htm look first and then say its wrong (because it fecking well is)
How (and more importantly, why) the fcuk did you find that??
well i was looking for the correct outfit to wear over on this site http://www.nineeleven.co.uk/board/index.php :D :D

(Honest answer, google'd geoffrey Tailors and thats what came up)
 
#16
Geoffrey Tailor are actually one of the best kiltmakers you will find, Although a bit expensive.
It is sad to see them break into these comedy kilts but i suppose they are just opening up their market.

A friend of mine is one of his top kiltmakers and to see her works is a joy, kiltmaking is a work of art.

Aside from the strange cloth it is the way they wear them, below the knee is just hideous.

You can spend a fortune on the best highland dress but if it isnt worn right you'll still look a tw*t
 
#17
vandyke said:
Geoffrey Tailor are actually one of the best kiltmakers you will find, Although a bit expensive.
It is sad to see them break into these comedy kilts but i suppose they are just opening up their market.

A friend of mine is one of his top kiltmakers and to see her works is a joy, kiltmaking is a work of art.

Aside from the strange cloth it is the way they wear them, below the knee is just hideous.

You can spend a fortune on the best highland dress but if it isnt worn right you'll still look a tw*t
so these don't hang right then??







 
#18
daz said:
vandyke said:
Geoffrey Tailor are actually one of the best kiltmakers you will find, Although a bit expensive.
It is sad to see them break into these comedy kilts but i suppose they are just opening up their market.

A friend of mine is one of his top kiltmakers and to see her works is a joy, kiltmaking is a work of art.

Aside from the strange cloth it is the way they wear them, below the knee is just hideous.

You can spend a fortune on the best highland dress but if it isnt worn right you'll still look a tw*t
so these don't hang right then??
words escape me :x :x
 
#19
The London Regiment A Company/Scottish [ formerly the London Scottish ] and its allied regiment the Toronto Scottish [ Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother's Own ] wear the Hodden Grey..a simple man's kilt that could be worn by anyone without offence or representing any particular family,clan or sept. It was chosen so that the regiment would not favour or offend any one and dates back to pre-Robbie Burns times as the great Bard mentions it in a number of his poems. songs and writing..The Irish have a similar ' tartan ' in the Saffron kilt worn by some in the past.

At least these have some tradition and legitimacy to them.something, I suspect the pink transparent plastic kilt will not acquire ' over time '...

While it is commendable to encourage Scottish Youf to adopt ' traditional dress' for more than just weddings and formal wear..this is just not right...
[ I will, however, reserve judgement on the camouflage version ]
 
#20
Um.. on that last photo of the ' roman kilt '..what is that hanging out between the fellow's legs?

someone didn't ' proof/vet' the photo before public release...
 

Latest Threads

Top