Killer Doctor League Table

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Bushmills, Apr 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As stated before, am currently working with Doctors, and some of the, if they were squaddies you wouldn't trust them with a weapon.

I am wondering if it would be worthwhile setting up some kind of league table,on the internet to expose dangerous quacks.

Anybody any ideas on how to construct such a table from information in the public domain?

Seems to me rediculous that you can get comparative info on schools but not on Doctors/Hospitals.

See below for info on medication errors.

"The Case for Improved IV Medication Safety

More people die in a given year as a result of medical errors than from motor vehicle accidents (43,458), breast cancer (42,297), or AIDS (16,516).1
    Medication errors alone, occurring either in or out of the hospital, are estimated to account for 7,000 deaths annually.2
    Adverse drug events cause more than 770,000 injuries and deaths each year and cost up to $5.6 million per hospital.3
    Patients who suffered unintended drug events remained in the hospital an average of 8 to 12 days longer than patients who did not experience such mistakes. These added days mean their hospital stays cost $16,000 to $24,000 more.4
    One recent study conducted at two prestigious teaching hospitals found that about two out of every 100 admissions experienced a preventable adverse drug reaction event resulting in average increased hospital costs of $4,700 per admission or $2.8 million annually for a 700-bed teaching hospital.5
    Two large studies, one conducted in Colorado and Utah and the other in New York, found that adverse events occurred in 2.9 and 3.7 percent of hospitalizations, respectively.6
    Preventable Adverse Drug Events (ADEs) cost the healthcare system $2 billion annually.7
    Infusion devices account for up to 35% of all medication errors that result in significant harm (Class 4 and 5). The most common errors are manually programming incorrect infusion parameters, failure to ensure the right patient receives the right medication, and tampering of infusion parameters by unauthorized users.8
    The most common error is manually programming infusion parameters into the device (e.g. rate, drug, dose, etc.).9
    "You've got health-care professionals who are in a hurry, seeing many, many patients. This [bar codes on packaging of prescription medicines] allows them to rely on a computer to make sure they're giving the right amount of medicine or that they don't give the wrong medicine." Source: Assistant U.S. Health Secretary Bobby Jindal.10

1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (National Center for Health Statistics). Births and Deaths: Preliminary Data for 1998. National Vital Statistics Reports. 47(25):6, 1999.
    2. Increase in US Medication-Error Deaths between 1983 and 1993. The Lancet, 351:643-44, 1998.
    3. Agency for Health Research and Quality, 2001.
    4. Agency for Health Research and Quality, 2001.
    5. The Costs of Adverse Drug Events in Hospitalized Patients - JAMA, 277:307-311, 1997.
    6. Brennan, Troyen A.; Leape, Lucian L.; Laird, Nan M., et al. Incidence of adverse events and negligence in hospitalized patients: Results of the Harvard Medical Practice Study I. N Engl J Med. 324:370-376, 1991.
    7. Institute of Medicine (IOM), To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System, 2000.
    8. Data on file, B.Braun Medical Inc.
    9. Drug Pump's Deadly Trail, Tallahassee Democrat, May 28, 2002.
    10. Assistant U.S. Health Secretary Bobby Jindal in response to the U.S. federal government's proposal that bar codes be required on the packaging of all hospital-administered prescription medicines to help prevent deadly drug errors."

Facts About Medication Errors

Add in thev issues of cross infection and the medical idiot factor and I am wondering if performance stat's are necessary.

2. Getting some of them (Dr's and nurses) to understand English would be a start.

It's not a racist remark but reality

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bloody oath!

• Like Like x 1
  4. The most serious and least hopeful cases tend to be handed to the best doctors, once they get past the primary care stage at least. That would tend to make the pedestrian and most career-risk-averse docs look far better than those who're prepared to step up and give it their best shot.

It's a harsh fact of life but sick people sometimes don't get better. Reporting and monitoring is a necessity but I can't see how naming and shaming will help matters.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I used to like playing Dr's and Nurses as a kid,,,,,still do.........

• Like Like x 1
  6. Report dodgy docs to the GMC and iffy nurses to the NMC (present company excepted)

7. Naming and shaming will probably mean that the nutters get less business and therefore less opportunity to stuff things up.

Strikes me as rediculous that if you are choosing a school for your kid you can get stats on the school's performance. If you are choosing a hotel you can get a ranking on trip advisor, bet on a hose and you can look up form, but you can't get stat's on some twat who is going to perform surgery on you.

8. Unfortunately it isn't always that simple.

9. I seem to recall that when a similar initiative to establish a 'fatality' index for surgeons was mooted a few years ago, the Royal College of Surgeons revealed that they do in fact maintain an anonymised list along those lines but did not consider it wise to name names.

"Ah-ha!", I hear you cry, "closing ranks to protect each other again." Well, possibly, but their counter-argument was at least persuasive. Would a high patient fatality rate indicate a butcher or a surgeon who was willing to take on cases with a marginal chance of success? Are some areas of surgery inherently riskier than others? If such a list were published, would we see a trend toward risk aversion amongst surgeons?

Clearly, this applies to surgeons rather than GPs but my spidey senses tell me that there might be parallels with general practice. If you have a system for faultlessly sorting the killers from the statistically unfortunate, I'm sure the GMC would love to hear from you. I'm no believer in the absolute righteousness of the conventional medical establishment, but treating people isn't like fitting spare parts to cars. Sometimes context is everything.

Just a thought, like.

• Like Like x 1
  10. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Assuming we're talking NHS here....

In my limited experience I've never had any oppurtunity to have any choice or input into who by or where I get treated. So I can either turn up and take my chance, or look it up on DocAdvisor (I'm trademarking that btw) and know that its all going to go horribly wrong....

11. Naming and Shaming will probably just land you with several libel cases.

Truth is a defence, of course. But you need a serious amount of wonga to pay the barrister to say that.

great idea, but look at what happened to protest sites such as NTLHell, ryanair, and, the original solicitorsfromhell.

12. Thank you.

You are now officially OK.

I worked with a doctor who kept calling me Floyd. In the end I lost my temper. 'stop calling me fucking Floyd, I told you my name 3 times!'

Turns out she was asking me to get a bag of 'fluid'.

Go on you tube and look for Dr Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yep good points.

I wonder if inquest reports are in the public domain or medical negligence cases?

14. Unfortunately so, however there are stats now being captured at Hospital/Trust level. So if your local is a well oiled killing machine, then it might be worth opting for the Patients Charter/choice they so bang on about and buggering off elsewhere.

http://drfosterintelligence.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Hospital_Guide_2011.pdf

As for decisions on hearings . . .The GMC has them all, albeit very vague

GMC | Decisions

The NMC too

Hearings and outcomes | Nursing and Midwifery Council

My wife works for a certain NHS Trust that relies on it's good name and is known to settle out-of-court quite often to avoid a good dirty laundry hearing