Kids

Discussion in 'Juniors' started by Dadproud, Sep 23, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

i dont know if this in the right place. i have a child and i want to join the army. what is life like for children with serving parents? im worried about her life style and quality. is there alot of support for families? ive found a bit of info about it but not alot.

2. Wah? Or journo? Speak to your nearest recruiting office

3. Hi,
    I wouldn't worry too much, there's plenty of soldiers with kids. My sister and I are padbrats and turned out alright (I hope anyway). On the support side of things there's loads out there, from family's officers to boarding school allowance, and tours aren't too much to worry about, dad went to batus a couple of times before he went on a proper tour so we were used to it, If we had any issues we'd just chat to other padbrats about it.
    I reckon moving about is pretty good too, you get to see more of the country and can adapt to new situations and make friends quickly, but for secondary school we were shipped off to DOYRMS to have some continuity during GCSE's but there are plenty more schools out there.
    At the moment both my sister and I are in uni and had no issues being independent and making friends.
    Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's a good community to grow up in and hopefully after the redundancies it will be a secure job.

4. cheers, thats reassuring.

5. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

It's a nightmare!!!

You get to see them most evenings and weekends. Work is a release and the thought of a tour is the only thing that keeps you going (not that I would no about the tour thing because I am a REMF.

They take your money and within a year they will turn you to drink.

The constant whining and demanding will drive you crazy.

Oh.....Hang on, that was my ex.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hahaha no different to civilian life then.

7. Are you married or a single father? If you are married then you shouldn't have any problems. Kids get used to moving about, seeing new places and meeting new friends. You may have to make compromises down the line to ensure that they get some educational continuity at certain stages and your wife will need to be able to look after the kids for long periods on her own when you are away on exercise or tour (the wives generally have to be made of pretty tough stuff!) As you will be aware, you will be entitled to an army quarter (house) if married. Clearly during your training (and potentially when you first arrive at your first unit) you will be required to live in the block rather than a quarter.

If you are a single parent, I'd suggest that life would be much more difficult. I do know some serving single parents and quite frankly I don't know how they do it (all had kids once they had been in for a few years). Unless you have very supportive parents who are able and willing to travel to wherever you are based to look after the munchkins, then you are going to find it neigh on impossible. The problem is that unlike most jobs, soldiers can be called on to work (in theory) at any time, day or night; therefore "I've got to leave know to pick up my kids" might work a couple of times, you can't do it every day. Likewise, what happens when you go away on exercise or tour? While I am in hugely impressed by people who make it work, frankly single parenting in the army is unsustainable for most and will inevitably increase the workload on others and thus cause friction.