Kids vs TV

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by RTFQ, Apr 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RTFQ

I'm an ignorant singly, and another thread about kids TV has got me thinking - has anyone EVER had success at raising their children with no/VERY limited access to TV. This isn't a dig in the slightest, I'm just wondering whether if/when baby RTFQs come along (Insh' Allah), I'll be able to raise them without the stupid box warping their fragile little minds - or will I just turn them into playground pariahs and die of a heart attack myself because I have nothing to distract them with.

I'd be interested to hear your honest opinions/experiences.
  2. I have my nipper all day Saturday on my own with no other grown up help.. For the rest of the week Mrs MDN is there and I filter in and out insignificantly.

Saturday morning she wakes up and its difficult to imagine how demanding and how much hard work it is in looking after one. They are totally unpredictable.......

Sometimes stickign the TV on for four or five minutes can be a blessing, especially if it keeps them happy / quiet / entertained for half an hour.

I was full of all sort of good intentions when she came along, no chocolate, no junk food, no tele......... last night she sat with me, with chicken nuggets and haagen daaz for pudding watching a teletubbies video :D
  3. Quite alot of parents raise their kids watching little or no TV. It's all down to the amount of time parents spend with their children, their childrens hobbies and interests and keeping an eye on what they do watch. The horror stories you get to here about mainly concern the great unwashed who's idea of plying and interacting with their kids is to pick them up and plonk them in front of the box. Other parents spend time with thier kids and take them out for the day on weekends (seaside, zoo etc).
    An hour of kids tv per day is fine (IMHO), but anything over that, such as the desire to watch ANYTHING should start to ring alarm bells.
    As a point of interest. Here in Lancashire certain Cub, Scout and Brownie groups are so over subscribed that they have a 5 year waiting list to join. This is the degree to which responsable parents are trying to ensure that their children have other interest besides TV.
  4. RTFQ

Good point MDN, the only thing I ate yesterday was 8 rounds of buttered toast and I spent the evening watching Underworld (a truly sh'te film that I've watched at least 4 times already because it has Kate "RTFQ's dream woman" Beckinsale in it). And I only just managed to entertain myself.
  6. RTFQ

Bloody nora. good idea though.
  7. When she goes down for a kip at lunchtime I spend that time tidying up the whirlwind that she laft behind her, ready for her to do it again in the afternoon sitting.

Summer months may bring new adventures without the tele...... we can get out early and come back late.....

There is a Hi-5 programme on channel five and one of the presenters is like a demented, not quite so slutty Tera PAtrick....... I keep myself entertained by imagining her getting double dicked. :D

I don't how how single mums do it.... I wouldn't last two days......

Even moreso I don't know how a mum can work fulltime, put in hours and hours, then come home and in an instant adopt the 'mum' role....

We are lucky in that both our parents help out and if we want a night out or some time on or own we only have to ask.
  8. I was brought up in various parts of Africa and I am so old that TV wasn't around in those days, so I didn't have access to it until I went ot boarding school. To this day, I'm not that interested in it, hate soaps with a passion and will often just not have it on.

I wanted to do without it when I got married but 'im indoors insisted on it for his football.

You could do without it but you would need to fill in those hours for your children with other stuff. I didn't need my parents company (actually I avoided them as much as possible) but I was able to spend hours wandering the bush with the dogs - not so possible here I think. I also read voraciously, maybe 4/5 books a week.

Maybe get the signed up to the myriad of really good clubs and organisations that are around - but be prepared to be a taxi firm for 10 years!
  9. RTFQ

I don't think the courts would be too impressed if I let my kids wonder around cambridge with a couple of dogs. Good job I'm moving to South Africa as soon as humanly possible.
  10. My daughter is 7 months old. She takes up almost all of our time (a common complaint amongst many new parents I think. And I can't complain I wasn't warned beforehand!).
    She goes for bath, story and bed at 19:30 which my wife does. I tidy the lving room and other aread of mess, wash up the dishes and any other tasks which could not be done around the house during the day. We both generally slump on the couch with a bottle of wine by eight thirty. It's no wonder I'm pileing on the pounds at the moment. I get no chance to exercise except ant weekend when I can place my daughter in a baby backpack (Vango Champ. Highly recommended) and climb Parlick Fell. Its hellishly exhausting being proper parents.
  11. Can be done. Takes two parents, all grandparents and EVERYTHING has to be organised well in advance. However, I would recommend it. Me and Mrs ORC raised 4 kids this way - circumstances were that singlies in mess replaced grandparents in early years.
  12. RTFQ

Thanks ORC, not sure I'd trust mess singlies though (well maybe the ladies), that's the reason officers dogs are so badly behaved - the singlies taught them doggy-anarchism.
  13. To be honest, I had the same plans as MDN. Limited tele, sweets, no spoilng them etc. Didn't last too long. The TV is a godsend. Both of my daughters (5 & 3) can operate both DVD players. They watch everything you do. They make great students. Everything is committed to memory and they operate like a little two man fire team. I'm sure they're programmed. Each instinctively knows what the other is doing. Well it sometimes appears like that. We bought a new car before we got out here and although the knock off and tax free was attractive, what sold it to us was the inbuilt DVD and screens. We hoped that it would be the end of the 'Dad, are we there yet?' In most cases it does and you can concentrate on the road or the conversation your having with the other half. They've broken two sets of headphones apiece,but have stopped fcuking about since they were warned that the third sets were the last. Break them and thats DVD. Seems to have worked so far. They've wrecked the rest of the car though. Its like driving a skip sometimes.

I do feel that I'm letting them down occasionally, but we do communicate very well and often. Homework with the eldest is done before tea and TV. TV for them is off at 6 and they are allowed a short DVD in thier room before lights out at 7. They are both pretty creative kids as is the other half, so our dining table is scarred to fcuk and the youngest frequently looks like a p*ssed off Apache, with felt tip pen all over her fizzer.

As for cleaning up..........I've never cleaned up so much since I was a sprog in the block. Fcuk me, you'd think the Huns had breezed through our gaff sometimes. Between fcking pieces of LEGO and that twatting Barbie. I threaten to throw them in the bin unless they tidy up which usually brings on the tears and then I feel sorry for them. I've lost it once or twice on Sunday mornings barefoot standing on bits of fcking LEGO. Leaping about like I've just been shot. I hate that stuff. Never had it when I was a kid, parents couldn't afford it.

What I do find myself doing is buying them the things I wanted when I was a kid, but which my parents couldn't ever afford. I'm just about to buy a little scrambler for the eldest, as I'm into bikes myself. They're dirt cheap over here. I'd still have bought one if we were back in England.

Kids are funny though, they are born entertainers. They frequently have us in stitches, but they are a nightmare in the shops.

Can't remember what is was like before they were born though. It's like they've been there forever. As for TV though, we are careful about what they watch. It's quite difficult over here as TV at teatime comprises Hollyfcukingoaks and some other sh*te. BFBS need to sort thier act out for kids TV.
  14. We all start so well, only educational programes, organic home-cooked food ...blah, blah! In the end, I think the important thing is to keep a healthy balance-in all things. The occasional episode of the Simpsons, junk food as a treat, inbetween the healthy outdoor activities, and the reading and chatting to them. I suppose the best advice I can give is to watch TV with your children and talk about it together, in that way it isn't a solitary activity for them. Hope this helps.
  15. I shared mess once with monley dog handlers. We taught the Brig's dachshund to attack on a hiss. Great fun.