Kids: not as useless as you think!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rampant, Oct 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Just got pinged this wee article from the BBC, and considering how much everyone has being whinging about our own feral youth, I thought a little positive news would be good.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8257153.stm

http://williamkamkwamba.typepad.com/williamkamkwamba/2007/07/article-in-the-.html

A Malawi boy who droped out of school at 14, as he family could no loner afford tgo pay the £50 p/a fees, builds a series of windmills that brought electricity and pumped water for his village.

Good drills laddie :D

2. If you're Iranian they can be brainwashed and used for mine-field clearence as well. :D

3. If they're Austrian, you'll never be stuck for a date.

4. Yep, just goes to show that it is only our overindulged feral feckless chavs that are truely worthless....

They'd be to busy drinking or twittering, and complaining about yooman rites, and how it was "sh1t round here for kids, init, naffing to do", whilst stood outside a adult ed centre with its windows smashed through.

Maybe we could bring him (mit family) here, and ship our sh1te there?

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

This is what Africa needs: Support that allows the indigenous population to help themselves, NOT hand-outs and vastly expensive aid projects that actually fund western companies and 'charities'.

If the focus on Africa changes to (WARNING: favourite Labour word coming up) one that empowers the local people rather than making them enforced, starving 'clients', then we will be a lot more succesful.

The example being this lad - books from a library helped him, as well as being taught to read. The book in question was all about making electricity. What the village could not afford, and what doesn't help is giving them all generators that use diesel. Solar panels, yes, generators no.

6. All credit to this particular lad but it isn't always that simple.
    A friend of mine spent years working in various parts of Africa (I would have to ask him for specific locations but there were lots) installing pump gear and village wells.
    More often than not they would go back to check everything was working a month or so after installation to find the pumps etc gone.
    Invariably the village elders would claim a neighbouring village had stolen everything. After some time it emerged that without exception the village elders had sold everything.
    It was of little consequence to the elders if the women and children had to spend hours a day hauling or fetching water.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Bugger!