Kids Behind Bars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Regalia, Jun 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't know if anyone caught this on BBC 3 tonight, but it certainly provides food for thought. As a country, we lock up far more of our young people for far longer than most other developed countries except the US. Not all the "guests" are the products of inadequate parenting and the usual cliches, but all seem to have distorted self-image and difficulty in accepting that sometimes, folk will tell them "no". Some have obviously thrived in an environment where compliance is rewarded and misdemeanour brings immediate sanction as well as providing useful activity 14 hrs per day.

2. I read an article about kids who kill their parents, basically they said that the only link between all of them that were not the victims of abuse was that they were on the cusp of adulthood and their parents said no... Their reaction was to kill them for it. Ridiculous, and all thanks to PC.

3. The BBC done a documentary a few years ago about kids being locked up in prisons around the world. Some of the places were real shit-holes and small kids were suffering abuse in there. With no sort of rehab training at all. They all hated the place, but ended up going back inside soon after getting out. No prospects and no hope.

By contrast the British young offender secure units are well staffed and well equiped. The inmates there get one to one attention, training, education, counselling, medical care and generally straightened out. They have a way better chance afterwards. I have been fortunate to visit one of these places in Newton-le-Willows a few times over a period of a few years. Seeing some of what goes on, how and why things are done, and meeting the staff is quite an eye opener. Also, it really stands out that the staff are very dedicated to the job, and that makes a huge difference too.

4. YOI's with one to one staffing, dream on. Most are addicted to drugs and move on to adult prisons.

5. Just watched the final episode. The little ***** need a ****ing good shoeing instead of shit punishments. I noticed one of the little ******* was pissing about on a laptop while sprawled out in bed. What a really harsh place :roll:

6. Birch the little *******. For re-offenders, and I doubt there would be a great many, simply increase the number of strikes every time until the untermensch gets the message. Or dies. Either one works for me.:threaten:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

how about JIB FI?

8. Don't think PC is to blame here. Parents are just not establishing boundaries for their children not to cross. Also think parents just want to be their childrens' friend instead of guiding parents who need to say "no" more often. Start their children on the right path early enough, the only headache they should get when their children head into teens is the usual crap we adults faced when we were teens. Of course if you were one of the above - youth offenders - then revise guidance to include nothing your parents taught you...

9. I hate myself for this, but I agree with you.

My brother and I got "the slipper" or just the threat of it. Our sister got nothing. Junior Slug was mollycoddled, and ended up in a police station after ploughing her car into a dual carriageway in Widnes the morning after the night before.

It took her 24 hours to sober up before she could be questioned, and got off very lightly.

Should I ever have a child, I will whack it from the day it is born. Never did me any harm.

10. It's probably because there's loads more little ***** than before. The amount of chances a young offender gets before seeing the inside of a gaol would have your eyes watering is disbelief.

11. Dr Kelso, "How does that make you feel?"

Dr Cox, "Dirty all over, Bob."

Dr Kelso, "You get used to it.":twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  12. He means STCs, not YOIs.

13. Maybe the YOIs should change their approach?

14. There's lots of good work trying to be carried out, one has an army cadet scheme, for instance, but the whole prison estate is having to save 23% of its budget, meaning much can't be done.

15. And therein lies the problem. These children are not moronic, they are bright enough to learn quickly how much they can get away with. Presumably this absurd leniency is down to unwillingness to prosecute on the part of the CPS, or is it legislation?