Kidnapped Fillipeaneos to build US Bagdhad Embassy

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Aug 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Charming. One of the semi-unrelated parts of the story that jumped out at me was the paragraph that said,

Now why exactly is the US building an embassy complex that large in the middle of central Baghdad? Certainly doesn't speak of establishing democracy and then getting out to leave them to their own devices, more running the place by remote control. I wonder if they ever asked the Iraqi governments permission or bought the land or if they just expropriated it when no-one was looking during all the chaos when they were in charge?

2. The whole history of the world is a history of empires one after the other, and I don't much care if the americans have one as long as we're not in it.

But I wish they'd do it properly.

3. There is no such thing as a democratic empire.

4. The British Empire? Less democratic for those ruled, of course, but I wouldn't make grand claims for Iraqi democracy in 5 years either..

5. We have found out where some of the missing $bn's went that should of been used for rebuilding the country. I wonder if they can get a pretty fountain as a centre piece included with the price. Shocking :x

6. True but you can have a democratic country with a bases + influence type empire that isn't too bad (relatively speaking). I'm not saying they should have one, just saying if they do they should be less dumb about it.

It seems to me from what I've read that there are a lot of different insurgent groups in Iraq and some of them may be relatively normal people who just don't want a permanent US presence. If that is/was the US plan then they should have picked a smaller country...

and not started to build a huge fortress-like embassy just yet.