Kidnapped aid worker

A video of a senior charity worker who has been kidnapped in Baghdad has been broadcast on Al-Jazeera.
British-born Margaret Hassan, who is married to an Iraqi and has lived in the country for 30 years, is head of Care International's Iraq operations.

An unnamed armed Iraqi group, which did not identify itself or give demands, said it kidnapped the aid worker.

Prime Minister Tony Blair condemned the kidnapping and said the government would do "whatever we can" to help.

"I think it shows you the type of people we are up against, that they are prepared to kidnap somebody like this," he said.
:x

I'm just wondering: will things be different if the kidnappers start threatening to execute this poor woman?
I know the uproar the whole Ken Bigley thing caused, would it be worse if it was a woman?

Yes of course it will be worse

Like I said on the other thread about this poor woman, this is all carefully planned to cause as much fear and apprehension as possible. They get a bonus here of course, not only does it scare off foreigners, it also shows the locals what you get for being involved with western organisations.

UlsterFry said:
A video of a senior charity worker who has been kidnapped in Baghdad has been broadcast on Al-Jazeera.
British-born Margaret Hassan, who is married to an Iraqi and has lived in the country for 30 years, is head of Care International's Iraq operations.

An unnamed armed Iraqi group, which did not identify itself or give demands, said it kidnapped the aid worker.

Prime Minister Tony Blair condemned the kidnapping and said the government would do "whatever we can" to help.

"I think it shows you the type of people we are up against, that they are prepared to kidnap somebody like this," he said.
I personally think it can't be any worse than the Ken Bigley thing, I don't think people will be surprised with anything these people do now?

:x

I'm just wondering: will things be different if the kidnappers start threatening to execute this poor woman?
I know the uproar the whole Ken Bigley thing caused, would it be worse if it was a woman?

I reckon she will get killed, but I also reckon they'll try to pan it out for a long time, and try to play on us again, even though she doesn't live here.

Imshi-Yallah said:
classy blokes, perhaps next they'll have live Orphan baiting.
Get us some tickets for that, Imshi. I hate orphans. :twisted: And kittens.

King_Nothing said:
I reckon she will get killed, but I also reckon they'll try to pan it out for a long time, and try to play on us again, even though she doesn't live here.
Not only doesnt she live here, she's married to an Iraqi and is legally an Iraqi national, one who has spent the last 30 years doing nothing but good for that country.

It enrages me, it truely does. They are all fcuking scum and not worth the blood being spilled on their behalf. The lot of them.

Boney

Sorry, rant over

I'm guessing that they've deliberately targetted a British woman, especially one as 'nationalised' as this one. Seeing the reaction that was sparked back in the UK must have been absolute gold for them.

So, if a normal, male worker could get that kind of outcry, what kind will a female charity worker get?

Hopefully she'll make it through.

As usual Bliar has been giving out soundbites, complete with his best faux sincere look. Does he not realise that terrorists seeing that they can get to the Prime Minister only encourages this sort of thing?

If the poor woman's lucky, she's been lifted by an Ali Baba firm looking for ransom. If it's one of the Zarqawi-type outfits, they'll milk it for propaganda as long as possible and then slaughter her when the Yanks level Falluja, claiming payback for crimes against Islam. Cnuts.

Unfortunately, they've now got a pretty good handle on the shock-effect of executions on the West. Killing a woman, like the cowards they are, would give them more leverage on pressuring NGOs to pull out. :twisted:

UlsterFry said:
Where's Maggie when you need her?
Locked up in a home for loopy auld bints if there's any justice. Pity's it's 20 years too late. A better question would be where's Guy Fawkes when we really need him now?

claymore said:
UlsterFry said:
Where's Maggie when you need her?
Locked up in a home for loopy auld bints if there's any justice. Pity's it's 20 years too late. A better question would be where's Guy Fawkes when we really need him now?
Like me, getting ready for his big night atop the Baghdad Ramadan Bonfire

UlsterFry said:
[quote="claymore). A better question would be where's Guy Fawkes when we really need him now?
Like me, getting ready for his big night atop the Baghdad Ramadan Bonfire[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder how long before the British council of muslims pull another publicity stunt and help to get her released like they did Ken....

Come to think of it muslims helping a western woman.....not going to happen is it.

Margaret Hassan was born in Dublin in 1945 - she is an Irish passport holder. The Irish Governement is apparently trying to find out what it can through it's Department of Foreign Affairs (in light of the Ken Bigley debacle this does not give me great cause for optimism). I doubt if Mrs. Hassan's origins will make any difference to the kidnappers (particularly if it is Al-Zarqawi's mob).

Imshi-Yallah said:
Hmmm....heres my policy suggestion for hostage taking, send an extra battalion for every hostage executed.
Nice theory, IY. Problem is, we don't have any extra battalions to send. Neither do the Yanks, apparently.